grandparents day

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Guest, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 19, 2002

hi , I am a first year classroom teacher. I was wanting ideas for grandparents day which is September 9.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 21, 2002

Grandparents Day is important because many of my former students were being raised or lived with a Grandparent.
    I would review Main Idea and details (depending on grade) and write a short essay about why grandparents are important, they can also draw on their own experiences. Then they could make a collage of pictures from magazines that represents why grandparents are important. You could also have them make their grandparent a card. Hope this helped.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 24, 2002

Have you considered having an old fashioned Tea with finger sandwiches, china and of course the Granparents as guests?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 24, 2002

We have grandparents' day for our whole school (small). The kids usually perform by grade, the grandparents come to rooms for a light brunch. One year we made an album of interviews which kids did with their grandparents - mostly about their grandparents' childhoods. It included either photos or drawings. It was darling. Last year we turned it into a celebration of heritage and grandparents and parents were invited to a show where the kids learned songs from different countries and we served international foods. We did family tree kinds of stuff. It was exciting.

6. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 24, 2002

In our district, we don't use "Grandparents Day" as many of the children don't have grandparents, so ours is called "Golden Guest" day. Students have brought in not only grandparents, but great aunts and uncles, neighbors, etc. Prior to the day, the students talk about how life was different in different generations, when the guests come, they talk about things from their time, maybe what kind of music they listened to then, how school was different, etc. The classes all performed songs from different decades. My parents went with my kids and had a wonderful time!