Grandparent's Day ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by melba, Sep 2, 2002.

1. melba

melba Rookie

Sep 2, 2002

HI! I need your help. I need ideas for my 5th grade students to do . (an activity) Our school is inviting all grandparents to come to our school where our students will give or share something with their grandparents.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2002

Wasn't there another post about this just recently? It had some good ideas.

We do this each year. I have 5th also. One thing I liked was having the kids interview their grandparents about their childhoods and school in that era. Then they attached either a photo or a drawing of the grandparent. You could make a bulletin board display of "My Grandparent and Me" including photos and drawings ... "Having Fun With My Grandma(pa)".

Last year we got more adventurous and turned grandparents' day into Family Heritage Day and learned all about various countries, did family trees, learned songs from around the world, and performed for families. Then grandparents and parents were invited to classrooms for treats from around the world. I had my students read aloud their most recent writing assignment while visitors were there. Good luck.

4. melba

melba Rookie

Sep 3, 2002

Thanks!!!

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 6, 2002

Have a party where they dance with their grandparents and have a picture taken. Have the students make the treats you serve. Have them write a letter to their grandparents telling them how much they appreciate them.

7. melba

melba Rookie

Sep 6, 2002

Thank you for all your help! : )