Grandparent's Day gift!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by gpsysngbrd, Aug 27, 2013.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 27, 2013

What have you made for your student's to give their parents for Grandparents Day? I found a cute footprint bookmark but I would like something that the kids can do more of themselves (and I'd have to make 44 footprints!). Also something thats easy because they would have to make 2 (or 4) of!

Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2013

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 27, 2013

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with students whose grandparents have passed away. I only ask because all of my grandparents are gone and I'm only 23. Two were gone by the time I was 5.

5. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 27, 2013

dgpiaffeteach good question. This is only my second week at this center. All I know is we are all required to create Grandparent's Day gifts and grandparents have been invited for donuts next Friday morning.

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2013

I'm wondering the same as well. This could be a pretty big issue if you're not sure about all of your students' families.

Also, a lot of grandparents may not live close enough for students to give their cards to. My grandparents don't even live in the same country as me, so I would have felt really sad about a project like this.

7. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 27, 2013

czacza thats the first place I looked! my first idea was the footprint bookmark but I want them to do it. Did you see the candle that you transfer the childs artwork to with a hairdryer? Not sure if we have any kind of budget for this!

8. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 28, 2013

They could make cards and put (paint) hand prints in shape of heart. There's poems you could adapt. When we did grandparent's day we let the parents and children know if no grandparents or they live too far away, etc. then they can adopt a grandparent for the day by inviting a special neighbor or maybe a senior from church, etc. A gift was made for them as well. Also you might want to send home a note asking parents how many will be coming and relationship so you have a heads up on how many each child will need to make. However I would say only one 'adopted' grandparent per child and only if they don't have a grandparent attending.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

When is Grandparent's Day?
    Rebel1

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2013

8th of Sept..

Could some kids have neighbors or somebody that is grandparent type?

Also I don't think I'd make 4 thinking it's one for each gparent. I had 4 sets...

Gparents love hand or footprints though. Could you do something with a handprint, that way it may be easier than footprint.

11. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 28, 2013

I think Im going to get crazy and try the ink transfer candle. Heard its pretty easy. And a good science/art project