Grand Theft Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2007

Stolen items from your classroom- Does it happen to you?

I posted yesterday about missing a great deal of books, yet it was misplaced from all my other stuff. However, I remember doing it myself.

All the replies following this post up until me saying the books are fine are like the books are still missing. :unsure:

My question now is... have you ever experienced theft at your school? I don't believe I have to this date.

3. heathers

heathers Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Wow, that stinks. Maybe the janitor in your building moved them around without you knowing. I would check with him/her, and also asked if anyones been in the building that they are aware of. Did you have your name in the books? Hopefully they will turn up.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

One year I regularly had someone go shopping in my room; it got to the point I had to lock my door whenever we went anywhere. You might try posting a note in the lounge asking if anyone has seen your wayward books. List on the note exactly what books are missing. You never know, another teacher may notice those books in someone else's room. (Not that I'm accusing a TEACHER of having sticky fingers!)

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

That reminds us to always put our name in permanent black magic marker on the outside of the back cover.

We have e mail that goes to all teachers. I would put out a lost book post on it. With the names of the titles. Hoping that they got in someones room by mistake.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2007

I definitely will if they don't turn up. This is very, very sad... :(

7. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Someone bored my fans! I teach in a room that is easily 90-95 degrees until October. I left with two fans on my table. I went in to work in the room on a hot (93) day thinking I have two monster fans. Both were gone. Isent an email out, but I am sure that they are gone.

8. 6ertchr

6ertchr Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Does your district use your room for Summer School? We've had instances at our school with teachers coming in for the summer programs and "borrowing" our items. Many teachers have lost items, mostly books, this way. I make my cabinets almost impossible to get into during the summer to help prevent my things from walking away. It's sad to think that someone would do that, but when people are on your campus only during the summer, they aren't always respect the classroom teacher's property.

I hope your books were just misplaced or overlooked. Good luck!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

That stinks! Hopefully they'll turn up once you start spreading the word that they're missing.

We are required to lock up everything before we leave for the summer. The only ones with keys to my cabinets are me and the key lady (the secretary in charge of issuing keys). Not even the maintenance staff or admins have keys to the files and cabinets. Woot!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

Hope you find your books! I'm half expecting something like this myself. Right now, half of my stuff is in the hall outside of my room (everyone else's is too) because there isn't enough space to get everything up off the floor. Last year my easel went missing (temporarily)--good thing my room number was on it in permanent marker!

11. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

I have had a lot of stuff outright stolen, and some things borrowed against my will :)

I'm snoop-y and I always find my stuff. I just watch people's body language and know where it went. and I sharpie EVERYTHING with my name.

the thing that bummed me out was when my sub at all the stuff in my fridge while I was sick four days last year. Or, she allowed my students to eat it, which still isn't right. I had to put a big note that said "please respect my lunch. If you would like to keep a drink here, fine, but don't eat my personal food." That felt so...... lame :(

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

They're fine! They were in my closet all along. I was very surprised because nothing rarely turns up missing at our school.

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2007

Yea! Thinking about having things stolen makes me ill! I am so glad that your items were safe the whole time.

We were just talking today at my school about this. People are missing their av carts & we were talking about how sometimes people "borrow" and do not return!

14. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

We had a teacher move out to another school and she basically took everything from her room, even things that belong to the school. If we ever needed to start up another room for this grade level, we have NOTHING to start with! So frustrating!

15. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I stole my computer from the school

Well, a school stole from me. Years ago someone came in and tagged everything. They tagged my own personal computer! They had it listed on the district inventory! So then I wrote "Property of <my name> on it. Then I stole my computer from the school. I just took it home at the end of the school year. I took it back at the fall semester. I wonder if it is called stealing if you just borrow it for the summer?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  16. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I currently have four overhead projector bulbs at my home.
    At the beginning of the school year I ordered 3 O/H bulbs. There was not a good system for picking up things. You just went into the office and found a box with your name on it and took it to your room. Didn't have to sign a receipt! As time went on I finally asked when the bulbs I ordered would be in. They said I already picked them up. It took quite a few e-mail msgs., letters, notes, etc. and finally after 4 months, the bulbs mysteriously appeared. However, in the meantime I did manage to order four more bulbs. They actually delivered them to me. I actually signed for them. But this time I hid the bulbs really well. I completely forgot about them until the beginning of summer vacation when I got home - 75 miles away - and found them while unpacking. I wrote an e-mail to the tech.guy and told him. Btw, he was not the one who ordered the bulbs in the first place or had anything to do with it.
    Finally, there is so much opportunity to steal - even little things. My attitude is that I believe God has a lot more for me than what I could get by stealing.
    Oh, yeah, and this is another story, but lowiq, you remind me of how a school stole a bunch of other things from me including my own microwave. They did it by suddenly putting me on paid admin.leave with the understanding that I could come back when an investigation was complete. The principal told me to call in one week. I called, but he said, no he didn’t tell me to call back in one week and that he would call me when the investigation was complete. He also told me not to call back. A year went by and I never got a call. I let it go – never got any of my stuff back. The microwave still worked – it was just that some students burned a pencil inside it. When I opened the door a lot of smoke came out and I blew out the small flame.