Grammar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Beezus, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Feb 10, 2009

My kids are driving me nuts! I have been working w/them all year on punctuation......by looking at their writing, you would still think none of them have ever been introduced to a complete sentence! In their writing, they STILL don't capitalize their sentences....periods are just thrown in haphazardly (wherever!).

Obviously, I need to come up with a new method of instruction! What I've been doing is not working for them. I have basically been doing DOL.
    SO-- how do you teach this??

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 10, 2009

I don't have any advise, but if it makes you feel any better, I have college students who still can't write in a complete sentence and look befuddled when you tell them their writing is full of fragments and comma splices. Don't even get me started on the rest of it......

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2009

Can you go over their writing with them? Have them read it out loud or you read it out loud stopping wherever periods are, and then ask them if they way its read makes sense. Then have them tell you where the sentence should end. They can then read it back to you and see how it sounds.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2009

You might see if Usborne is still selling its book Improve Your Punctuation: there are some fun exercises in it that you might be able to adapt to your classroom.

6. KayakSue

KayakSue Rookie

Feb 11, 2009

Maybe do a whole group writing lesson on the overhead. You could create a kid friendly rubric so they know what's expected.

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2009

:lol: I looked at your info to see if you teach fourth grade as well -- we have the same problems!:lol:

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 11, 2009

I make my kids cap and tap-they have to touch the capital letter with their eraser (that way if it's not a capital, they can erase and change), and tap the punctuation. I teach sixth, so they think this is babyish. But when they start to forget and get sloppy, a few cap-and-tap sessions usually gets them back on track.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 11, 2009

Oh, I forgot to add: after they "cap", they turn their pencil over and tap the punctuation with the writing end, so if it's missing, they can add it.

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009

Love the idea! I am going to try this today!

11. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009

I do DOL everyday too. Its wonderful. The problem is, some kids need more reinforcement all at one time. So, you may have to do a week of activities about capitalization. We use a second grade DOL book and the kids have a very hard time with capitalizing proper vs. improper nouns. Next week, we are going to do a review of it every single day with a worksheet in class and a worksheet for homework and a test at the end. It should help.

12. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 12, 2009

My kids are terrible with it also. I just spent 2, yes 2 weeks on quotation marks! Some are still confused. I don't get it.
    I use DOL also and love it, but use it as a guide to what we need additional support on.

I really like the cap and tap idea. :)

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 13, 2009

I have rubric that I use for the kids to double check their punctuation, that seems to help a little. it is hard though :(

14. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 13, 2009

Maybe you could use a few examples of how different kinds of punctuation can totally change the meaning of a sentence:

Woman without her man is nothing.

Woman: without her, man is nothing.

Woman? Without her, man is nothing.

Woman without: her man is nothing.

Etc.

In grammar, as in many other things as well, examples are worth more than rules.