Grammar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FourSquare, Sep 29, 2010.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 29, 2010

Do you teach it formally? What does this look like in your room? I remember doing lengthy exercises when I was in school that covered subject, predicate, etc. Does anyone do that anymore? I feel like we only hit it during a couple morning work problems and MAYBE a little during writer's workshop. But I don't feel like they're retaining anything. They're making the same mistakes. How can I teach grammar in a fun way? The way I learned it was really boring, but I'll admit that I learned!

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 29, 2010

It is mandatory that I teach a grammar block because my class is has ELL students in it.

I have several things we do. Sometimes we do lessons on parts of speech but right now we are doing a Verb Tense Study which consists of various posters about verbs, past, present, future, pronouns, subject pronouns, types of sentences, etc. After we go through all the lessons, then we will be making posters in which we look at a picture and use a formula to create a sentence. The sentence could be present perfect tense, simple present, etc.

I also do other activities such as: each group gets a strip of paper with the beginning part of a sentence. As a group they add on to the sentence and when they are done with their part, they pass it to the next group. The next group reads it and adds on to it. This continues until the sentence goes back to the original group where they add an ending mark to it. (Note that if I have 5 groups, there are 5 sentences rotating) Then we read it as a class and make corrections as necessary.

I also do Daily Oral Language.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 1, 2010

Well now I don't feel so bad about not teaching grammar-LOL.

5. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Oct 1, 2010

I teach grammar formally. I use powerpoint, online games, direct instruction, small group instruction, and workbook pages. I test them on a skill every 1-2 weeks. Last week was nouns and this week we built on that skill and added proper nouns.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Oct 2, 2010

Me, too. We are working on subjects/predicates and sentences. My quizzes are cumulative, so my students are responsible for everything we've learned not just this week's lesson.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2010

I do teach grammar formally. I will usually do 1 or 2 direct instructions during the week, and then hit it through DOL, writing, and anything else I can plug it into. I will also put examples on a paster on our wordwall, so when we visit the wordwall we hit it there as well.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 2, 2010

I normally do about two direct instruction lessons (but they are very short, about 10-15 minutes) a week. I sometimes use our textbook, the smartboard, and read alouds.

9. alschoolteacher

Oct 2, 2010

I only quiz on the current lesson, but I grade writing based on all of the skills I have taught. So, at this point in writing they must have complete sentences with capital letters, correct punctuation and capitalized proper nouns.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 3, 2010

I am interested in the direct instruction lessons. Do you just put up the sentences, define what you're looking for and then find those things? Like you would define "noun" and then circle all the nouns in the sentence? Do the kids follow along and do their own exercises? How do you keep them engaged?

Thank you all for the replies.

11. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 3, 2010

Most of mine are exercises from the text book... we normally do them orally. Sometimes I give them the worksheet that goes along with the lesson to practice the skill after we have gone over it. I also use some Senteo quizzes on the Smartboard, and some other lessons/videos on the Smartboard. For example, the other day I taught adjectives because I wanted them to focus on using descriptive words in their writing. I had a little lesson with a bunch of different objects, and you touch the object and it says an adjective that describes it. Like there is a gorilla, and when you click on it it says "hairy". There is also a part of the lesson with a paragraph where they are to find the adjective and click on it. Then on a different slide you pull the adjective to the noun to describe the picture. After we finished this lesson, we brainstormed some describing words and tried to fit them into their writing.

I LOVE my Smartboard... there are so many resources out there that really get through to the kids!

12. alschoolteacher

Oct 4, 2010

I usually start by telling them the definition and using "teach, Ok." We do a couple of examples on the board and use a powerpoint or online game. Lastly, we work through the workbook page together. The next day, I work in small groups using a small whiteboard and extra practice page. The rest of the group has a writing/grammar page to do. Wednesday and Thursday I work with small groups on comprehension, but we look for the grammar rule in our reading and the kids have the workbook page to complete.