Grammar Do Now sources?

Discussion in 'High School' started by pinkcupcake90, Jan 3, 2017.

1. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Jan 3, 2017

Happy New Year, everybody! Hope you enjoyed the holiday break!

In my classroom, we spend the first 5-7 minutes working on a do-now activity. I give them a grammatically incorrect sentence on the board with an SAT word, and they are supposed to fix it. I love these do-now activities because I really feel that they help students tweak their grammar.

Do you know of any good books I can use that have grammatically incorrect sentences that I can use every day? I try to make them up on my own, but it can be a bit difficult since I'm a newbie.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jan 3, 2017

mizpruett and Teacher0909 like this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 3, 2017

mizpruett and Teacher0909 like this.
  5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 4, 2017

I follow @grammarbytes on twitter for a daily multiple choice grammar question. It is fun because it shows the percentage each answer choices receives. In fact, I got a twitter account specifically to follow grammarbytes. Yeah, I'm a grammar nerd.

Teacher0909 likes this.
  6. mizpruett

mizpruett New Member

May 29, 2017

Thanks for the sites!

7. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

May 29, 2017

I love the Caught 'Ya! Grammar With a Giggle books. I have one that I have used off and on over the years, and the kids (high school) actually kind of like it. The sentences all work together to tell a story. I think there are three full stories in the book I have. I always used one that was an updated/modern retelling of Romeo & Juliet since we were studying that anyway in the 9th grade. There's another one about "Hairy Beast" and his friends that's kind of cute. I'm actually looking at getting one that's called The Chortling Bard which is still Caught Ya! Grammar with a Giggle, but it has versions of three Shakespeare plays (Midsummer, Much Ado, and I can't remember the third..Twelfth Night maybe?) with grammar errors. It says it's specifically geared to high school (I think the one I have could be for middle school). I want to do Much Ado because it's one of my favorite Shakey plays, and I'll have an excuse to show the movie, hee hee.

Basically you'd have to write, type, project, whatever the flawed sentences/sections of text and then have the kids make the corrections (I have them copy the incorrect and the rewrite it with the corrections in underneath). I do this daily, and then at the end of the week I give a quiz in which I give them the incorrect sentences again and they have to rewrite them correctly from memory.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

9. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

May 31, 2017

Thanks so much, everybody! :)