Grammar box lessons

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by cingy, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cingy

cingy Rookie

Jul 1, 2005

I have just finished, courtesy of mommaruthie, putting together the grammar boxes. Of course, it has taken two years but it is now done. I would like any introductory lessons that any of you may have...I am also looking for ways in which to use the grammar boxes with my third and fourth graders.

I am also using the Montessori Great Lessons as a basis for my curriculum this year and would like any advise, resources, etc. This past year my class took a trip around the world, visiting each continent. It was wonderful.

Thanks.

Karen

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 7, 2005

Do you have the symbols for them to put above each word in the sentence they formed? (triangles of three sizes and colors...? circles for the verb and adverb...?)

4. cingy

cingy Rookie

Jul 8, 2005

grammar boxes

Hi Ruth,

I believe that I do have all of the symbols but, if you have them and could e-mail them to me, I could be rest assured that I do have them and they match with the materials that you gave me. Are you still working in the same school since we last talked? I am entering my third year with a 3/4 class and with my Montessori experiment. I am not totally there yet, probably never will be, but we had a great year last year, taking a cultural ride around the world. This upcoming year, I am focusing on the cosmic education and the Great Lessons. I truly am reinvigorated and look forward to beginning the year with the Story of the Universe. Now I want to be able to use the grammar boxes but am unsure of specific lessons to facilitate the process.

Thanks again.

Karen

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 8, 2005

Maria Montessori used the following symbols to help children
    recognize the names and functions of the different parts of
    speech. The following coloring code is still used in Montessori
    schools today.
    Article Small Gray Triangle
    Noun Black Equilateral Triangle
    Adjective Blue Equilateral Triangle
    Pronoun Pink Isocele
    Verb Red Circle
    Adverb Smaller Orange Circle
    Conjunction Purple/Mauve Bar
    Preposition Green Crescent
    Interjection Sunny Yellow Skittle Shape
    1. The man sat on the bench and read the
    interesting book.
    The = article
    man = noun
    sat = verb
    on = preposition
    the = article
    bench = noun
    and = conjunction
    read = verb
    the = article
    interesting = adjective
    book = noun
    2. Melissa and Sheila went to the beach
    and swam in the ocean.
    Melissa = noun
    and = conjunction
    Sheila = noun
    went = verb
    to = preposition
    the = article
    beach = noun
    and = conjunction
    swam = verb
    in = preposition
    the = article
    ocean = noun

7. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jul 9, 2005

I hope you dont mind the question. I am new to teaching and do not have any Montessori training - I will be in the public school (4th grade). I am looking for creative, strong ways to teach grammar. Would you mind explaining these grammar boxes or provide somewhere that I can find the information. I like the visual idea if I am understanding what you are saying.

8. wendylee

wendylee New Member

May 5, 2006

Dear mommaruthie,

I am wondering as others if you can enlighten me on the grammar box lesson. I printed the materials including signs form the montessorimaterials.org website. But I am unsure how to set it up and how to present the lesson. Any help or guidance will be appreciated. My email is wendylee.johnson@verizon.net

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 5, 2006

Although the original post was July of 2005, the montessori concept is still classic. There are two concepts mentioned. One is the grammar boxes which allows for the practice of the Grammar Symbols. (see on the net. Neinhaus grammar boxes)
    The grammar symbol introduction is FIRST with the nouns. You let students label the classroom with words. They learn that objects, or things are nouns. You also use the noun grammar boxes for plural lessons. Also in the noun boxes you will find masculine, feminine and common gender. You also have article introduction at that time. The symbol for the article is a small light blue triangle and it always travels with a NOUN, a large black triangle.

The shape that is part of that family, but doesnt always have to hang around is the adjective, or the medium dark blue triangle. In fact, you can have Many adjectives together, as long as they are separated by commas. Its like a small family. The kids can be your adjectives but gotta keep them separated!
    The grammar boxes for adjectives contain small brown cards about the size of 3x6. For each card there are TWO adjective phrases (subjects) Each box also has 1x1 individual cards that have the identical words from the larger card but only one word on a 1x1 card. The cards are also color coded but NOT the same as the grammar symbols. Dang, that sounds confusing. Its a visual!

Anyhow there are grammar boxes for each part of speech. It is ONLY to form the sentences with the 1x1 word cards and then for the child to put the grammar symbol above the word card AND to copy it down on paper with correct symbol on paper.

As for the grammar symbols. I always introduce the triangle family. (later I introduce the grandaddy of that family, the pronoun)
    Then the circle family. The circles are the verb and adverb. the adverb is a small orange circle that can follow the verb (a large red circle) either in front of or behind the verb. These are command words. So a child is supposed to act out the commands that are on the cards.
    The preposition is a green bridge (like a frown) and its job is to tie or bridge the subject, its action with its location. This montessori lesson usually includes the farm objects. Or for example a vase with flowers. The child has to move the flowers into different positions and create sentences. Such as: the flowers are on the tray. The flower is in front of the vase. The flower is under the table. The flower is on top of the water. Another lesson you can make is a clown with balloons or a pearl and its oyster...

I need to get my contacts out and give my hands a rest. If you want the conjunction, interjection... I will tell later. Hope this is helpful. There are other small boxes you can make to 'teach' the grammar concepts. Such as the farm or vase for prepositions.
    You dont have to have the Neinhaus version of the boxes with cards.

10. jayandlo2

jayandlo2 New Member

Jul 26, 2006

Grammar Boxes

mommaruthie, you seem to be a wealth of knowledge. Can you please send me the grammar box file. I am new to Montessori and in the process of making materials for my two homeschooled children. Any ideas that you have will be a help.

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 26, 2006

I have the files that are in such disarray. Each box is its own folder and somehow, when i last sent them it became COPIED. so each folder has got to be cleansed and then sent. The grammar symbols and grammar boxes are for ages 5and up... If I get a chance this summer (possibly first week of august?) I will try and get it together. My husband had told me that once its all cleaned up he will burn me a CD. Just keep reminding me as its not top on my 'to do list before school starts.

12. ilovemyjob27

ilovemyjob27 Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Hello I have been teaching first and second grade at a Montessori School for three years now. If you don't already have the grammar symbols in your classroom, you could make them using card stock. Just draw the symbol, color, laminate, and cut out. You could store them in a small box and reuse them over and over. I write sentences on strips, and then I have my students label the different parts of speech using the symbols. You can make them as easy or as hard as you need. They just place the symbol above the word and then you could also have them record the sentence in their notebooks and use colored pencils to draw the symbols above the words. I find this works great!! They really seem to grasp the parts of speech easier with the symbols. I hope this makes sense and helps you!!

13. jayandlo2

jayandlo2 New Member

Jul 29, 2006

Grammar Boxes

Thank you for the help. I made the symbols and I am in the process of laminating them. I will do what you suggested. My goal was to try to get my items to look close to the authentic grammar box lessons that are sold on the internet.

14. kidsguide

kidsguide New Member

Sep 25, 2006

Nienhuis grammar materials

The pricelist for Nienhuis lists item 0.105.02 as a grammar card material outline. I am not certain, but I believe this may be the same thing as the outline which is sent with the grammar cards themselves. If so, it is a good explanation of the materials used for Montessori grammar exercises, the content of the cards and the number system used for their coding and organization. I hope this helps!

15. lukeahoy

lukeahoy New Member

Jan 10, 2007

Grammar Card Manual

Hello!
    I've just purchased the Nienhuis grammar card material and I'm a bit bummed that the included manual is nothing more than an inventory of what is there. Can anyone direct me toward sample lessons for some of these and their accompanying command cards...

I've searched their website after reading the following quote, but I can't find anything. MommaRuthie, you seem to be all over these posts...can you help? Thanks.

_luke

The pricelist for Nienhuis lists item 0.105.02 as a grammar card material outline.

16. kidsguide

kidsguide New Member

Jan 16, 2007

grammar lessons

You might try interlibrary loan for a copy of Maria Montessori's The Advanced Montessori Method: The Montessori Elementary Materials, the first 13 chapters deal with the original grammar lessons using the boxes etc. This book has been reprinted under several titles in various forms. For additional information on presenting the lessons in English see one of the Montessori educational sites, for example the MWEI site. I think most sites assume a basic understanding of the concept of the boxes and how they are used, this is why looking at Montessori's book first is a good idea. Best of luck.

17. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 18, 2007

Are you interested still? I have my Albums available if you want me to explain anything in particular. I can off the top of my head give you the jist of the lessons.
    The first set of cards are the noun and article boxes. These are primarily to match up two cards only. (plurals with singluars, masculine and feminine,)Then, you have the brown adjective cards with two (or three?) sentences/statements on them. The short little cards are to be placed BELOW the big brown card. The child then places the grammar symbols above the word. Each sentence is formed the same.... Thick card above, each sentence formed with small cards, grammar symbols placed above each word (small card). child writes it down, with symbols and sentences.

18. cstanton0

cstanton0 New Member

Oct 7, 2007

The actual box

Hello there,

I have been following this thread closely. Mommaruthie : if you don't mind, can you pls instruct on the making of these grammar boxes?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

19. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 8, 2007

This post began in June 2005. Its nice to see it active again.

The contents of the boxes is what is vital.
    The box you put them in can be unlid wood boxes or one year, I used clear lucite folded brochure holders.

I completed the entire set of the grammar boxes using stock paper of identical colors to the Neinhaus program. Normally the adjective symbol is the dark blue but the Neinhaus grammar box color for adjective is dark brown.

The individual lessons/boxes are great to focus on each part of speech, strengthening their understanding of the function of the part of speech by completing each activity. Then later, you can have them place the symbols above practice sentence strips. In the 9-12 room, we use dialogues from stories. For example the reading comprehension passage can be used to practice cursive AND analyze with grammar symbols on top. Or the child can do a research report on a topic, write the report in cursive, and then put the symbols on top.

20. missmarj

missmarj New Member

Oct 26, 2007

grammar boxes

mommaruthie, You must be an angel in disguise. My nine year old has just discovered grammar boxes and I was trying to make them myself. English is my third language, so this is a very slow process. He does them quicker than I can produce them. May we please, please, pretty please have a copy of your grammar boxes material?::blush:
    thank you missmarj and michael

21. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 1, 2007

I have cleaned out the file. Its ready to be sent.
    I also have grammar symbols template (tracer) you can purchase from me. ($4 a piece)

PLEASE send me your email as PM so I can send you the program. Also, your snail mail addy if you are interested in purchasing the template/tracer.

22. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 2, 2007

BUMP

23. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 6, 2007

bump

24. confetti

confetti Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

mommaruthie,
    I am new to this forum. .

Do you still have the file and template you were offering to the other forum member? May I buy one of each from you?

I am mother to a 12 yr old son who is still very shaky in identifying parts of speech. Through age 8, he attended a private Montessori school, but has been educated with traditional textbooks and materials since then. The traditional grammar lessons haven't worked very well. I recall the Montessori grammar materials as being very clear and easy to use, so I want to try that method at home with him.

I will try to send you my e-mail and snail mail addy by PM. Please look for a message from me. Thanks!

confetti

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2008

Wow- this is an old thread-
    Mommaruthie isn't around much anymore on the threads- she left teaching and is now in real estate (I think that's what I remember??) You might want to start a new thread asking for what you need for this lesson- there are other teachers on the forums who use Montessori methods...

26. confetti

confetti Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

thanks, czacza.

In her old post, mommaruthie mentioned contacting her by PM. But I don't see any PM function in this forum. Am I overlooking something?

confetti

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2008

Click on momma's name at the top of her post- you will get a pull down menu with different options. One of the options is send a pm...

28. confetti

confetti Rookie

Feb 18, 2008

Oh, now I see it! Thanks!

29. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 19, 2008

Thanks confetti for getting a hold of me. I have really not been a visitor here anymore but I will never be entirely gone!

I sent the file confetti. If your machine should combust its because I tried to send the entire program in one email!

If you PM me I do get the message!

Hi old friends- miss ya!

30. confetti

confetti Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

mommaruthie,
    I received the entire batch of files. Thank you so much!

I can't believe my good fortune. I'm going to start opening and printing now.

Thanks again!

31. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 20, 2008

They are in order of presentation. (see the roman numerals? then the LETTER..) That should assist you in order of presenting. If you have any questions let me know.
    I bought colored card STOCK paper to put each on that matches the Neinhaus colors... Its a lot of work!

32. lita_c

lita_c New Member

Mar 31, 2008

Files

Oh please, will somenone share these files with me?

I'm trying to figure out the how-to's of the grammar boxes for my homeschooled boys.

Thank you SO much!

Lolita

33. nur

nur New Member

May 27, 2008

dear mommaruthie, i'm a homeschooler from singapore. may i have a copy of the grammar files. i'll like to make them on my own cos i can't afford commercial ones. thank you so much :)

i can be reached via nurbates@gmail.com.

34. yolanda

yolanda New Member

Jun 22, 2008

I stumbled across this site while doing research on montessori grammar boxes. I want to use them for my spanish class. Confetti, if you are still out there, would you mind sharing the file that mommaruthie shared so kindly.

35. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

36. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 24, 2008

That is a great way to store it Pattypoo! The cabinet is not included and the 129 is just for the cards on stock paper printed. For additional fifty dollars they will cut it for you! THEN you have to laminate it all because that is NOT included!

37. confetti

confetti Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

Lolita, Nur, & Yolanda (Montessori Grammar Boxes files)

Yolanda, Nur, Lolita,

I would be happy to send you the files that Mommaruthie sent me! :D

I am sorry I have not visited the A-to-Z site or kept up with my e-mail for quite awhile. :sorry: But I am here now. I have the files and can send them to you vie e-mail attachment.

Send me a PM containing your e-mail address. I will send the files to the address you send me.

Confetti :)

38. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jun 24, 2008

Mommaruthie,

Nice to see you again! I hope your summer is going well! :)

39. La loupiotte

La loupiotte New Member

Jul 9, 2008

Hello everybody, I'm new on this forum and I'm french, a montessori homeschooler. Can somebody help me and share with me the files of mommaruthie about the grammar box ? Thank you. If somebody need sometihng in french ?

40. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

There are several ladies on the Yahoo Montessori groups that have materials in French. You may want to check at those groups.

41. La loupiotte

La loupiotte New Member

Jul 10, 2008

Thank you for the information about the ladies who have french materials. But I've got everything in french and I need for un bilingual boy the file for the grammar boxes in english. Thank you for the reply, with kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.