Graffiti in our parking lot

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 9, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 9, 2011

I was out on a short walk today and came in immediately once I saw someone had tagged our dumpster albeit the backside only so most people prob have no idea that it happened. We live in a condo that is mainly a safe quiet neighborhood so I was quite shaken to see that. They were bad words too but it's not like anyone would have sprayed "have a nice day, :lol:". I called the police business line to report it and our property manager. He didn't even seem empathetic like "oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that" like I was thinking someone might say. it just sounded like another thing for him to have someone take care of. sigh. I can't wait to move! We are just beginning house hunting and hope we can sell within a short period of time before moving somewhere.

Why do people tag anyways and why tag somewhere where most people will not see it? That's double stupid to me!

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2011

People who run around spraying obscenities on dumpsters are supposed to be smart?

Obadiah likes this.
  4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2011

Tagging reminds me of dogs "marking" their territory

So I guess taggers are like dogs ...

.... wait that is an insult to dogs

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 10, 2011

That's pretty interesting that they wrote on the backside of the dumpster!

So, I think the fact the person just wrote bad words says a lot about why it happened - namely, that it wasn't intended to be artistic or gang-related. I just got done reading an interesting book about the graffiti subculture in New York, Cleveland, and Chicago, and - while there are certainly wildly different views about the appropriateness of "tagging" public property - many consider it to be an art form, when it's an art :). Writing bad words would be seen by even those calling themselves "graffiti artists" as distasteful and harmful to the community.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, where I live there is a lot of gang-related graffiti - sometimes on stop signs, pavement, and of course buildings. Signs that are considered gang-related are also constantly changing - there was a K boy recently suspended from school because he family shaved a "Spongebob" character in the side of his head, which several resources report is now being used in that area as a gang sign.

Because they were just bad words and it was private property, I can see why the police didn't seem to up in arms - had it been a symbol or some other ambiguous word written, they should have certainly done more. In any case, not your problem soon!!

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 11, 2011

Yesterday the officer came over to take a look at it when I called their business line (not emergency) to see if there was any follow up for me to know about (I am curious if it's been an ongoing thing in the area so felt like I should report it)

I looked at the words more closely and I did see drug and gang words which again made me feel uneasy but the officer said they rarely have reports of graffiti in our city and that there aren't any known gangs...since they did it on the back side where hardly anyone walks (unless they have a dog like me and takes that path!) they were most like "wanna be's" taking a short cut on there way down to the main street below.

I'm super vigilant and feel we can all help out our communities by reporting any suspcious activity even if it's nothing...you just never know!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 5, 2016

Welcome to A to Z Teacher StuffbForums, RMertz17. You've asked some interesting questions. Are you taking a sociology class, or a writing class, or what? What are your thoughts?

(Most of us here on A to Z are teachers: happy to help you brainstorm, but understandably resistant when it seems that a new member is trying to get us to do his or her homework.)

8. RMertz17

RMertz17 New Member

Apr 5, 2016

I am currently taking a youth cultures class at my university and I have to do fieldwork research by interviewing people over blogs and forums such as these to see what scholars and outsiders think of this situation. So contacting teachers, especially ones with knowledge such as this would be helpful.

9. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 5, 2016

Maybe it's because I'm used to living in urban areas but tagging doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. A nuisance, sure, but not something that I would find personally concerning such that it would make me uneasy. Like the police said, it sounds like somebody just acting out/ trying to be "tough." My guess would be teenagers thinking it'd be cool/ edgy/ whatever.

10. RMertz17

RMertz17 New Member

Apr 5, 2016

Do you think the government's involvement has made it "mainstream" in terms of mural arts programs? And do you know what their reaction is? Do you believe that the graffiti subculture has evolved because of this "government takeover"? Would you also think that this would be a benefit to their culture or a negative?

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 7, 2016

What do you think?

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2016

It is not so much a government take over it is more a I have bigger fish to fry right now tagging is a low priority crime, it is like a fender bender many times you can "call it in"
    mural arts programs are not an accepting of the "crime" but an effort to steer kids away for the vandalism and have a healthy outlet for them to use.