Graduations - how do they make you feel?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 6, 2013

Yesterday was our graduation, and even though I've only been here for 2 months, it was so overwhelming and emotional. I only knew 6 of the graduating students, I can't imagine what it would be like to know half of them.

It was the alternative educational schools graduation: my high school (very small, only 6 graduating), juvenile hall and probation camp (both are kinda small), another high school (much larger), and an independent study school (huge). I was expecting a small ceremony, with maybe 30 students. We had 900 guests, and I think 100 graduates. (maybe more). Does the superintendent go to every graduation?
    I haven't been to a regular high school's graduation, so I don't know what to compare it to, but it was wonderful, especially since all of these kids have been given up on, they were all expelled from their school, or locked up, or gotten in trouble, but pretty much all of them had a much more difficult time than other students. And watching them walking down the isle, they were all so proud, it was great.
    And then when they called them up, someone read a little note from each saying whom they would like to thank, etc.
    The whole community came together, a lot of police and probation officers, even gang task force volunteered their time to make sure there would be no problems, and everything went smoothly.

The only other graduation I've been to was in the lock up. That was very touching and emotional, but not this overwhelming. We had graduations every month, and each month we had 2-4 high school graduates and 6-10 GED recipients. I knew each and every student, and worked very closely with the graduating seniors, so it was always special for me, as well as for all staff members. These students would probably not have graduated if they didn't get locked up, or would have taken much longer. Here, they were 'forced' to go to school, do their work, and having nothing else to do, so they actually got motivated. It was great to see it, but I know the students were often sad because they missed the huge ceremony.

Either way, it's a great way to finish the year, as my P said, this is when see the fruit of our labor. It was the prefect last day.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

Regular graduations? Eh. I went to my own by FORCE but skipped all my siblings'.

But I can imagine that a graduation at an alternative school would be more meaningful and sweet to me. I feel happiness just thinking of how they must feel (even if some don't show it, although I'm sure some do) to have accomplished something many thought (and probably with reason, sad though that may be) they wouldn't. I love the underdog making it!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 6, 2013

It was so cute watching them enter. They were supposed to walk down the isle in pairs, with a dignified, slow paced walking. Most of them walked fast, with a proud attitude, I was thinking 'wow, they can't wait to get up on that stage' :)
    They had some student speakers (both of them were awesome) and some scholarships were presented. And a lot of these kids will go on to college, and have great plans.
    This is in a small city with a huge gang presence, very low income (some kids couldn't afford to put on nice clothes under their robe, they wore tennis shoes, some even PE shorts), and there is really not much to do around here (hence the kids getting into trouble).

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

I could have just as easily been born into their situation... Hope they rise up, get out, and enjoy the very best life has to offer and offer the world much!

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 6, 2013

Sounds awesome!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 6, 2013

Looking forward to graduation on Sunday. Last year's was the largest single-school ceremony in the nation, and this year's looks to be just as big, if not bigger. If you want to see some highlights from last year's graduation (I'm proud of letting people know where I teach), check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6j5K4r1Hgo. Yes, that is Jack Hanna as the guest speaker, and yes, he showed up with animals.

Watching this makes me so proud, I'm in tears. Cannot believe it's happening again in another few days. OH, how I'll miss my graduates!

8. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 6, 2013

I teach at a small, rural school and they are bittersweet for me. I love my kids and hate to see them go but I'm also so excited for what they get to do.

Plus, I'm a sympathetic crier. And the big, burly country dads who look like they've never cried before in their life always get me when they start to tear up.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 6, 2013

I swear I must have no empathy at all because I never cry at these things. I just don't like crying, and I don't like faking like I'm broken up about the students graduating. Rather, I'm happy that they're moving on to the next level and have made it through middle school, so I give them congratulations.

But I guess I'm not really an emotional person which kind of makes it awkward when we have all of the teachers crying, the kids are all crying, and I'm just like "What's the big fuss about? It's just Middle School."

Some of the staff are leaving and one of them got really emotional and made a speech which had a lot of the teachers in tears, and I didn't really feel moved at all. Sad she's going, but I guess I didn't know her well.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 6, 2013

I don't enjoy them. To me they are just another meeting I have to endure at the end of the year. I'm happy for the kids, no doubt, but the ceremony is just not fun.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2013

I love graduations!

I love my Masters' cap and gown...and I graduated with my MSEd 16 years ago! I worked in a high school for a year and all the faculty wore cap and gwn to the ceremony and walked down the aisle ahead of the grads! Nice!

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 6, 2013

We had 8th grade graduation last night. I did not cry at the ceremony but bawled on the way home. I think one of the hardest part of this job is watching them go. They have been in my life for three years and most I will never see again. I am happy for them, sad for me

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

I did not attend my own college graduation...I graduated magna cum laude so I did get my cap and gown set to get my cord, but I never considered going. I was able to get a program...good enough! :) I didn't attend for my master's degree either.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 6, 2013

We are twins. If someone gets a bit teary, I'm right there with them.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 6, 2013

I didn't go to my graduation either, not for my Bachelors and not for my Masters.
    For my bachelors, my parents were here, but the timing was so weird, that I didn't know if I passed all my classes to get my degree until 1 day before. There was one class in questions, where I really wasn't sure if I passed. It was very stressful, because if I didn't, I would have had to wait a whole year to take it again (they didn't offer it in the fall).

For my masters I didn't go only because I had no family here, except fr my daughter. I could not leave my daughter in a huge crowd all by herself (she was 13). And I couldn't even invite any of my friends, the graduation was on a Thursday, I didn't think anyone would take off of work.
    It would have been nice to walk and be publicly acknowledged, but not without anyone I knew, that would have been depressing.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 7, 2013

I have 95% of our students 2 years in a row, including their senior year.

During our graduation, my heart is bursting with pride (and a bit of sadness).

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2013

I'm going to see my first class graduate tomorrow. I had them as 1st and then again as 2nd graders. I get emotional every time I think about it. I am so excited to see them and their families though.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 7, 2013

I still haven't decided about my own graduation. Unless something weird happens, I'll finish my M.Ed. in December of 2014. My classes are online, but I've been to campus and I like the people with whom I'm doing coursework. I'll also be the only person in my generation of my family to have a graduate degree (not counting Rockhubby and my SIL).

19. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 7, 2013

I am an extreme softie. Any kind of ceremony like this really gets to me. I said goodbye to my 8th graders today and cried along with them.

20. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 7, 2013

I love my graduations, I will be getting my M.A. Teaching next summer and can't wait.

I love "kiddie" graduations, they do make me cry. I went to my five year old's kindergarten graduation the other night and I cried.

12th grade graduations do not make me teary eyed. I always thing "wow, that's great for them" but honestly, every year that goes by makes me one year older and that's how I look at them. This month marks my 10 year graduation from high school and it hurts my feelings.

21. Alizeh

Alizeh Rookie

Jun 7, 2013

I love them! But I get emotional at nearly everything.

22. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 7, 2013

I've only gone to one of our school's graduations and that was because it was mandatory that year since we had an inservice day cancelled.

I usually don't attend primarily because each year I'm appalled at the number of students that the principal allows to graduate that don't qualify. Also, since I view graduations as celebrations of an accomplishment, I cannot - in good conscience - celebrate what so many of those students HAVE NOT earned.

Between that fact and witnessing a number of parents jumping up after their son/daughter's name is called and screaming, "That's my f**kin' kid!!!" It's more than I can tolerate....that one time was more than enough for me.

:down:

23. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 7, 2013

I will likely have my kids 3 years in a row, so I will cry when they graduate. They are very special!

That being said, I think high school should be a big deal and that's it. Some families go all out for 8th grade like they don't expect them to have another graduation. :whistle:

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2013

I go every year to ours. It's not mandatory, per se, but it is highly encouraged.

It's definitely not a solemn occasion - they graduate in the grandstand at the fairgrounds, no a/c, it's usually muddy outside, and it's hotter than heck.

But this year we got the am slot - it was raining, it was cool, and I actually got to enjoy the ceremony (instead of spending the whole time fanning myself and using my gown to mop sweat off my face). I enjoyed it.

25. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2013

Our graduation was moved from last night to Sunday afternoon. I have another commitment on Sunday, so I won't be able to attend. :(