Graduation

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MrsRed, May 23, 2014.

1. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

May 23, 2014

Graduation was tonight, and it was a rough one. We had a student pass away in February, so that was hard. And I'm not returning next year, so that was hard. And just in general, graduation is always tough for me. Not because I'll miss the kids -- which, of course, I will -- but because I don't do well with change. Anyone else struggle with graduation?

On another note, I thought the tribute to the student was beautiful. He was actually a second year senior and had finished in December, so he did graduate. His parents got his diploma, cap, and tassle (tassel?). They read his name in alphabetical order with the rest of the kids, since he was a part of the graduating class just like everyone else. I hadn't really dealt with the pain of losing him yet, and it finally hit me.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

I went to a grad last nite. It went well... I subbed for most of the kids. So I still think of them as little

Went to one a few yrs ago when one of students killed in elementary...they had an empty chair on stage. It was tough because I know family & it made my heart ache for the mom.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 24, 2014

Last year's Senior class had lost 3 students over the years, the last one the February before they graduated. Another in their Sophomore year, & I don't remember the 3rd one. They had 3 empty chairs & did a moment of silence.

When my daughter was in 3rd grade they lost a classmate. He was mentioned in the program.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 25, 2014

We haven't had graduation yet... it'll be a tough one. We lost a senior and a junior this year.

Normally, I love graduation.