Graduation!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Miss84, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Mar 30, 2011

I know it may be a bit early for this-but I need to start planning for graduation now!
    At my current school K graduation is a big deal (I have to pick a valedictorian/salutatorian, they wear cap/gowns, honor cords, stoles, etc) and I need to come up with an hour long (at least) program!:eek:
    This is my first K graduation program, anybody have any suggestions, advice? :help: TIA

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

Wow, that's a lot of pressure in K. My high school didn't even have a valedictorian anymore just the senior class president speech.

How many students do you have?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 30, 2011

A Kindergarten valedictorian? Wow. :dizzy:

5. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Mar 30, 2011

Yea it's a LITTLE overboard. Although their graduation outfits are cute, the whole pressure being put on them academically is ridiculous. I have 15 students.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

If you think it is ridiculous, you could be the voice of reason and create a new graduation tradition.

7. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Mar 30, 2011

^Unfortunately no. I've already expressed my thoughts on the valedictorian/salutatorian aspect-they are too deep rooted in tradition to change, even if it is for the better. I am thankful that I will not be returning to this school next year.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

Could you have each student share a project or piece of writing and why it is important for them? That would take about 20 minutes.

With the graduation taking another 30 minutes with the announcement of the val/sal.

Then maybe they could perform a simple little song or read a story line by line (Maybe, Oh The Places You'll Go).

9. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 31, 2011

I like the idea of including everyone on an individual basis. With an hour this should not be too difficult. The students could tell of their favorite moment in K or a good story. I also like the idea of the class telling about a favorite field trip. You could also have them each say a line or two on a certaun unit, such as the Presidents.
    I am with the other posters that Val/Sal is a little over the top. Do you have to expain what it means to them?

10. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Mar 31, 2011

My school does the same thing for graduation, except we don't have valedictorian/salutatorian. I was blown away by the planning process last year (my first year). We have 54 students. We sang some songs that we had learned through the year, then a song about graduation and going to first grade. Then we showed a slideshow of the kids when they were babies and in their caps and gowns. We also included pics of all the fun things we did throughout the year. It was set to music, and it lasted a good 10-15 minutes. Then we had the actual graduation part, followed by cake and refreshments. It was a big hit, and the parents and the kids loved it.