Graduation or no graduation

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Jun 1, 2022.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jun 1, 2022

Has anyone ever gone from a situation where your school traditionally had a kinder graduation to not doing it anymore? It's so hard to do the arrangements (and give parents their preferred amount of communication) when so much else is happening at the same time. Our school has traditionally done the ceremony. The K team would be happy to drop the whole thing next year. I can't imagine the outrage though. Let's face it. The event is for the parents. The kids don't understand it at all. I know a lot of schools just don't do it, but the transition seems impossible, especially in a school with very involved parents.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 2, 2022

They should really skip all of them until high school graduation. It seems like just a load of wasted time. Kindergarten, 6th grade, 8th grade, whatever. Just stop already.

Violetta and nstructor like this.
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 2, 2022

You're right that it is a lot of hassle, but is there a way to pass some hassle onto parents? Have the PTA handle it or use something like signup genius to get parents to volunteer. My home district did absolutely nothing except high school graduation, but I have very precious memories and pictures of my pre-school ceremony that my grandparents came from out-of-town to attend. By the time I was graduating high school, they had passed. You never know what event might be the last. 8th grade graduations are a long tradition carried over from the days when many students didn't attend or complete high school. Depending on community, there may or may not be cultural importance to those.

On the other hand, some "graduations" are overkill. We did a 5th grade one this year to recognize the transition to middle school, but that was silly since we're all in one building with not even a separate wing. Half the kids were already in a 5/6 mixed grade class. That to me is one of those made up, hokey ceremonies.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 3, 2022

Yeah, it makes no sense. I have 2 nephews and my sister in law is always complaining about having to go to do "extra" stuff since after a while it gets to be extremely overwhelming and time consuming.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 3, 2022

I would prefer no graduation until 8th grade. Even with a 8th grade graduation, it should be done on the last day or evening before the last day of school. Having 8th graders or Kindergarteners have less school so they can "graduate" early shouldn't happen.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2022

We don't even do 8th grade graduation. We call it 8th grade promotion. We do it the night before the last day of school. I have been in this district for 14 years and we have never done kindergarten graduation, but we do a pre-k graduation. The teacher was thinking about not having it this year and there was some push back from admin about "but we have always done it" Totally our problem in this district. lol Personally graduation/promotion should only happen at the end of a students 12th grade year. I never had any of these ceremonies and I turned out just fine. I just think it's another participation trophy our kids don't need.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    nstructor likes this.