Graduation Nightmare

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jun 6, 2009

First, let me say I do not agree with the formal graduation ceremony for pre-k kids. Unfortunately it is a requirement at the school where I teach. Caps, gowns, the whole nine yards. I have spoken out against it to no avail. Therefore, I normally make my program as short and simple as possible. Last night the kids hardly sang, they turned around talking to each other, they talked to me during the middle of the songs, two of the girls giggled uncontrollably,they were telling each other "stand up!" during the pledge, etc. The owner, director, and teachers were trying to "shush" them but it did not work. This has been how our entire year has been with these particular kids but I was still suprised at just how bad it was. They were completely out of control. I normally have pretty good success with children that have behavior issues through using postitive guidance etc. but this year the majority of the class was like this. Many of these kids have been at this school since they were two. They have had this type of reputation as a group the whole time and parent support was almost non-existent. I know it is a team effort but it still makes me feel like I was ineffective as a teacher. This whole year has left me with a really bad feeling. I have been doing this for 16 years and I have never experienced anything quite like this. I was just wondering if any of you have.

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jun 6, 2009

I also hate the whole Graduation/Moving On Ceremonies that my school does. It's been toned down in the past two years, but I still think it's inappropriate to do at all.

Every year I hope it turns into some huge disaster so the Directors will not want to do it again. So far it hasn't happened so we have to keep doing it. Every year I have fantasies of the sprinkler system going off and the fire department being called, or a group of parents get into some big fight, or some kids have a huge meltdown tantrum on stage and we never have to do it again.

Yes...I have bad thoughts about graduation, but I despise it so much.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 6, 2009

What can I say? You are right. It is not DAP. I suspect it is done for the parents. An open house with cake would be as good. If you come up with a great alternative, would the managment change?

5. rosew

rosew Companion

Jun 6, 2009

I agree..where I work we do that also..prek do a dance on stage, kindergarten graduate..where my children went for the 3's they had a great big picnic..it was great..i would love that.too much stress on having the kids perform for a recital type thing

rose

6. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jun 6, 2009

No, Old Teacher, they would not accept suggestions for other types of things. I think an end of year celebration as rosew mentioned would be great. It does put too much stress on the kids and the teachers. It is definitely something that is done to impress the parents.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 6, 2009

ks, that is too bad. I would ask for a clairification of the philosophy of the school. Are there guidelines as to the type of program you are to provide? At my last job, I had to write that myself, as the board did not even know what they wanted. Lucky me, they got what I wanted.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 7, 2009

we only do KIndergarten graduationa nd the kids have a lto fo fun with it. They get to pick their favoirte songs to sing, say the pledge , a poem and then get their diplomas. I make a power point slide show to music every year (even though I don't work in the kindergarten program anymore I still do it to help the teacher out) using photos that the parents send in (infant through now) and some that I take. By doing songs etc that they ahve done throughout the year it showcases what they have enjoyed and puts alot less pressure on them. They have caps and sashes to wear, no gowns. Our kindergarten program is all year, full day 9-3 so we ahve a lot of contact withthe childrenand parents. If a child is uncomfortable ont he stage he/she sits with the teacher in the first row in the audiance and if they choose to go back up on the stage part way through they can.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 7, 2009

As far as the type of class-- I think every center has one of those classes, usually every year and each teacher gets their turn. this year was mine!

10. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 9, 2009

We did a graduation and spring performance which I was dreading but I ended up really enjoying it. The kids never sing to loud and there are always a ton of flub ups but that is what makes it cute. I don't mind graduation for those going to kindergarten, I actually had to advocate for it. It makes them feel special and gives the younger children something to look forward too. It's all done in fun though. We don't take it to seriously.

As far as the class issue, I feel you. Some of the kids in our class where out of control too. For me, I have been telling these parents that their kids are disruptive all year. Not to be mean but when all the families are there and can see these kids act a mess it is a concrete reminder of what I deal with as a teacher on a day to day basis.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 9, 2009

We don't do a "graduation" we do a kindergarten year celebration. Everyone gets a little certificate for completion of the school year. This year I have 64 people coming to watch. I don't even know where to put them all.

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 9, 2009

Today we had our year end celebration. We watched a marionette show and had a "fun" day with faint painting, musical chairs, bean bag toss, and sponge throw. After we ate pizza, fruit kabobs and cupcakes. No caps, gowns or certificates.

13. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Jun 9, 2009

We had ours last Thursday and I have had between 2 and 3 kids since. Our last day is Friday.
    I too fought it tooth and nail last year. Our moving on ceremony was fabulous last year. This year was okay. We had over 100 parents for pre-k and k (we do it together) and I had hoped all of the people would scare them quiet. I WAS WRONG!!! They were waving from the stage and posing oh it was a mess. BUT the parents loved it!

14. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jun 9, 2009

Thanks. You guys make me feel better. After a couple of days the shock kind of went away and I agree, everyone had an opportunity to see what we went through all year. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the new kids already and hopefully a better, more productive year.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2009

PreKinder graduation?? ugh.
    I'm sorry you had a "terrible" program. Wouldn't it be nice if that made the principal think twice about doing another? :)

Yes, in the last 10 years of teaching, I've only had one class just like yours; ugh...I think you're going to have a great upcoming school year! :hugs: