Graduation - I'm clueless!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Teacheroo, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jun 20, 2007

HELP! I have to give a speech for the graduating 6th graders at my school, and I know I shouldn't be, but I'm scared out of my wits! I know, I know, she's a teacher, she should be good at public speaking, but I literally have sweaty palms just typing this out.

Anyway, I have no idea what to say. I would like to incorporate part of Dr. Seuss's "Oh, the Places You'll Go." (Maybe too cliche?) This is my first year teaching, I really have nothing to go on. I've been teaching a combo class all year (5/6) and have had 47 students come in and out of my classroom. Only 6 of my 16 sixth graders have been here since the beginning. One I've only had for 2 weeks. The trouble is I'm having to speak to all the 6th grade classes at promotion AND their parents. Ugh. Any tips or speech templates would be helpful. :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2007

How about something like this:

-Intro: quote from Oh the Place you'll go

- Quick look back at how far they've come

- Your hopes for their future-- along the lines of "I hope you'll Dance" or something similar. With kids this young I would probably talk about choices-- how our choices have consequences. Even small choices, like the choice to mock someone or befriend him, have far reaching consequences.

-End with the same quote (or the next line) from Dr. Seuss.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2007

OK, I have more time now. Here's what I think I would do:

-Intro from Dr. Seuss

-Thanks to all your parents and grandparents and families and friends. They're the ones who got you poster boards on Sunday nights for Monday's project, the ones who quizzed you on the spelling of "quack" for that 1st grade spelling test, who told you that your clothes matched, even when the pants were plaid and the shirt was striped. It is because of their love and support that you have been able to attain all you have.

- You are at a crossroads: it's time to decide what type of adult you want to be. Each day we make hundreds of choices, large and small. Some don't matter: do I want PB&J or a hot dog? Some matter in ways we can't imagine. So being rude to a classmate or chosing to ignore one can hurt him in ways we can't begin to imagine. Smiling at the new kid in your class might give him the confidence to smile back and make new friends. Your decisions have consequences that extend far beyond you. I sincerely hope that the choices you make will be those that make your parents and yourself proud.

- Followup on the Dr. Seuss quote.

Figure 6-7 minutes. You want short, declarative sentences. Sentences that are long are harder to follow when they're spoken.

5. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jun 20, 2007

Good point. I like your ideas!