Graduation Gift-New Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by always_learning, May 1, 2012.

1. always_learning

always_learning Rookie

May 1, 2012

One of my closest friends will be graduating next week. I'm looking for a meaningful gift that doesn't break the bank. She is a non-traditional student, married with three kiddos. Is there something that would be beneficial for her first year teaching? Did you receive an awesome gift for graduation that you still use? Let me know what you think!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2012

Maybe try putting together a teacher tool kit. You could include some post-its, note cards, nice pen, pencils, and some paperclips in a nice tote.

What age range and/or subject is your friend going to be teaching?

4. always_learning

always_learning Rookie

May 1, 2012

Thank you! Her degree is PreK-3rd with Mild Intervention. Most likely in her current county which is small.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2012

You might want to look into some great books. You could probably buy a few picture books to help stock her library.

Working with young students, she might love some motivational stamps, stickers, a notepad with her name on it, or even some picture frames to display her family on her desk.

6. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 1, 2012

An E-Z Grader!! I have one that I first used in 1976: I couldn't live without it. Not only can you put any number of questions on a test; you can also use it when an essay question, for example, has to be worth 17 points or something odd like that. Sometimes for major exams, I'll rock a double E-Z grader. Oh yeah.

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 1, 2012

I second the EZ Grader!!

How about a copy of "Oh, the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss?

I also think a good stapler is a terrific gift!!

I find terrific teacher gifts on pinterest!

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 1, 2012

I bought a friend 28 new books for her classroom. I went on Scholastic and bought books that I knew I used and I thought she would enjoy. She was so excited. I feel good about starting her classroom library. Her parents gave her a gift card for a local teacher store to purchase her bullentin board set, ABC's, calendar time, and other decorations.

9. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 1, 2012

Best gift ever, no kidding, were trays--the brown plastic ones that you see at fastfood places.

My good friend gave me a set of 6 from our local food supply company, and I use them ALL the time for keeping crafts organized, setting up science groups, setting up for parties, etc. They've come in handy for so many things over the past few years!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 2, 2012

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 2, 2012

For my student teachers, I always get a bag or basket - something that will be beneficial in the classroom or for carrying papers - and I add in the essentials - mostly from the dollar store. Index cards, permanent markers, post its, binder clips, etc. Depending on the grade level, there are also bulletin board items in the Dollar Tree. I might splurge a little on pens I like for grading (although I do most of that online now). I also make sure to throw in some other essentials - CHOCOLATE, a nice lotion in a relaxing scent, and some Advil.

On a side note, for this year's student teacher, I got the bag for free. My mom gets points for ordering office supplies at her job and then you can pick out gifts. The main thing they offer are bags. There is only one other girl in the office so they split everything. She showed me her "stash" the other day - She must have had 30 really cute bags in a tub under her bed. lol. She had quite a hoard - and when I asked for the one for my student teacher, she said - "But I really like that one." Well, she had 4 of them!!! lol.

12. always_learning

always_learning Rookie

May 2, 2012

Wonderful ideas! Thank you all.

13. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

May 2, 2012

How about a gift card to Staples? Staples is my best friend.

14. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

May 2, 2012

I second the bag with essentials. My CT had the kids paint their handprints on a tote and they filled it with stuff ( craft supplies, office, etc) and my mom did something similar as it was so nice to have all that office stuff when starting the year, instead of having to order them or borrow from other teachers :)