Graduating in January - Jobs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kassrose, Jun 30, 2009.

1. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Hey everyone,

I will be graduating in January with a degree in El Ed. I am just wondering, what is the likelihood I will be able to find a position mid-year? Are there many long term sub positions or people that leave mid-year? I'm worried because it seems like with the economy it's hard to even find jobs for the fall.

Also, do you have any ideas for jobs I could do in the mean time? I'm currently a nanny but it hurts my heart to think I would go right back to what I'm already doing once I have my degree.

If it makes a difference, I live in AZ.

Thanks!

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

My district you can start subbing anytime. I have known a few people who got long term subs in the middle of the year. I got one in March, teacher left. And there was an opening at the school and that is how I got my job. Good luck!!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

There are openings mid year, and most LTSs happen in the spring semester. Like peggy said, most districts allow you to start subbing anytime and that would be a great way to network with principals.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 30, 2009

I was a December grad and got a LTS job that began right after the holiday break. The nice thing about a Dec graduation is that you can get some subbing experience on your resume before the positions for the next school year open up. That's assuming of course you can live off the unpredictable and not very high (in most districts anyway) pay of subbing. If you don't have to have the steady pay check of a nanny job I think the subbing would look better on your resume, plus different schools would get to know you. I know in my district it's practically unheard of for them to hire someone that wasn't either a sub or a student teacher.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

To be honest, I think it's going to be tough.

Sure, there's always the possibliity of a LTS job-- people go out on maternity all the time, people get sick all the time. But I think there's going to be a lot of competition for those jobs, given all the teachers already unemployed.

I"m not trying to discourage you, honest. But your odds will be considerably better next fall, when there are more jobs open.

In the meantime, you can work on your resume, your cover letter, and making those all important contacts.

Good luck!

7. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jun 30, 2009

+1 on Peggy27 post....I got a LTS in March, and subsequently got the ONE position open at the school for the upcoming year! I would def sub if I were you, it will be your best "in".

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

I agree with Alice. It's going to be hard mid-year. Even six years ago when Florida was going crazy looking for teachers my hubby wasn't able to find anything mid-year. Subbing is going to be your best bet.

9. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 1, 2009

I would sub in a district you are really interested in and get some experience that way. Then when jobs start posting in spring if you are doing well, you may have an in.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 1, 2009

I would sub in the districts around you. It is possible to find a job, I started mid-year, but it isn't very likely. It was the only position open mid-year in the entire district.

11. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I think I'll try subbing, I'm just a little concerned since there are all those reports of the sub market being flooded due to the economy (people who have lost their jobs are looking to sub since it's on call and can be good intermittently while they look for a job in their line of work).

12. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

You could always wait tables a few evenings a week in addition to subbing. That worked well for me because I didn't have to take the day off to g to interviews.

Good luck!

13. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I know if someone gets pregnant or gets sick and cannot return they look for teachers mid-year. The likelihood of this happing is slim. I think that it is hard enough to receive a teaching job at the beginning of the school year. The economy is rough right now and teaching jobs are so hard to get. I know that you could sub and get your foot in the door. Good luck in whatever you do.

14. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I also live in AZ and graduated in May. I was able to find a job. Your likelihood of finding a teaching job will be greater in the fall, but definitely get your foot in the door and start subbing as soon as you graduate! If you don't mind me asking, what city do you live in?

15. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jul 2, 2009

I live in Gilbert, but of course would be willing to teacher in Chandler, Higley, Mesa, Ahwatukee, etc.

How about you?