Graduate degree apps

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Johnjoel, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Oct 11, 2009

I just got a teaching job (yay!) and am thinking about starting a masters program soon - Do many colleges ask for on applications or care about what your high school gpa was? My undergrad GPA was awesome, but I had a very tough time in high school during my youth and barely got out of high school. Just wondering if the high school gpa would be any factor at all in a potential school's decision on graduate admissions.

Thanks!

3. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Oct 11, 2009

I don't know of ANY grad programs that ask for your high school transcripts. They usually ask for your undergrad transcripts, and some only ask for the last 90 quarter units.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2009

I can't imagine why they would care.

5. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Oct 12, 2009

All that I have seen only want your undergrad, and sometimes only your undergrad major GPA.

The good thing is that usually if there is an issue (GPA, GRE scores etc) they will let you in on probation.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 12, 2009

I've applied to a few post-bacc & grad programs w/i the last year & none of them still asked for a HS transcript. All they want to know is what HS you went to.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2009

I don't think that any program would care what your high school gpa was. Like Ms. I all I've ever been asked is where I went to high school.

8. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 12, 2009

I applied to three programs and none of them wanted my high school GPA (not that I know what it was!). Undergrad is all that matters.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

My college only asked for undergraduate transcripts for graduate school, and when I went back for my second masters they only looked at my graduate school transcripts.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2009

I just applied to grad school for the 2nd time (at a different school from when I got my 1st Masters). I WISH all they had wanted was my previous grad school transcripts. Not only did they want the undergrad transcripts, I had to take the GRE or MAT, which was never required to attend grad school my 1st time around! :mad:

11. Sam Aye M

Oct 13, 2009

As long as I had an undergrad GPA of 3.5 or above, I didn't need to take the GRE. All they needed from me were transcripts.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2009

My 2nd grad school that I'm applying to made tkg the GRE a mandatory thing no matter what the person's undergrad GPA was. Heck, they still made it mandatory for people who ALREADY HAD A MASTERS already! I find that crazy & an unnecessary waste of time & money (after all, its costs to tk those exams)! :mad:

13. Sam Aye M

Oct 13, 2009

Yeah, some want the GRE no matter what. I chose my school over the others specifically because I didn't want to take the GRE.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2009

For me, I never dreamed that someday, I'd want to earn a 2nd Masters. It just so happens that the only school I want to attend (for a specific reason) just made this GRE requirement mandatory. That wasn't always the rule even a couple yrs ago. Oh well, that's the way the ball bounces!

15. Sam Aye M

Oct 13, 2009

Yep. I've been thinking of getting a Ph.D, and the only program in my area wants GRE scores. I've never taken ACTs, PSATs, SATs, or GREs in my life. Looks like my luck might run out if I continue. The biggest test I've ever taken was the CBEST, and I was even complaining about that one.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2009

I took the SAT in high school, but in my adult life, the only tests I've taken were:

CBEST - easy, passed 1st time

RICA - pretty easy, passed 1st time

CSET - very hard, had to repeat a few times before finally passing

GRE - very hard, just took once, but my score wasn't very good

MAT - tried this too, easier than the GRE so if your school accepts this instead of the GRE, I recommend this one!

17. Sam Aye M

Oct 13, 2009

Definitely helpful to know! Thanks!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2009

You're welcome, good luck if you decide to get your doctoral degree. I was thinking about whether I should get a PhD or a 2nd Masters in SLP (speech-language pathology) & chose the latter because I really wanted to get into that field. A PhD still isn't totally out of the question for me though!

BTW, I took the GRE & MAT w/i the same month: The GRE at the very beginning & the MAT at the end of the month because I just found out pretty late that I needed to take one of them & had to get the scores in by a certain deadline to apply to my grad school. I'm glad I tried the MAT too. I got a better score on that than the GRE.