Graduate Classes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by math_teacher, Feb 17, 2015.

1. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Feb 17, 2015

Hi. It has been a while since I was active on here - but thought of you all as a good resource while I mulled over things....

I have my master's degree that I did in person part time while working. Then I did post master's credits in person followed by some online through PDI (webteaching.com). I saw an AD in NEA magazine the other day for http://www.advancementcourses.com/courses/. I was wondering if anyone had taken classes through this online graduate program. It seems like some classes are on paper and some are online. They have A LOT of classes and seem interesting, but not sure how they are with work load. My goal is to earn credits (for the obvious salary reasons) but I am looking for classes that will be interesting without being obscene with workload.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2015

If you are not yet a contracted teacher these classes will be resume builders at best. You will probably be hired at masters and however many years of experience. You'd be better served subbingNd getting some marketable experience.

4. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Feb 17, 2015

Sorry - I should have included that I am employed and have been teaching for several years at the same district.

My question is really just to see if anyone has had experience with this program to see if it is worth getting into. The classes I've read about so far seem to be paper based which is an interesting twist to me. After I started teaching, the different programs I took classes through, I always had personal contact with someone who had taken at least one class in the program before.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

Would your school accept these for salary guide movement? NJ has redefined 'what counts' in terms of PD and I know my district is somewhat particular about what they will approve.

6. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Feb 18, 2015

I haven't submitted them to my school yet - but I think they fall into the realm of similar classes my co-workers and I have taken in the past.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 19, 2015

A co-worker of mine took some classes through advancementcourses.com and recommended them to me. I ended up going with PBS TeacherLine instead, but my coworker had good things to say about her classes. She said the best part was that you work at your own pace. Other than a deadline for completing all requirements of the course (which I can't specifically remember but want to say was about 6 months), you do all of your assignments when you can and turn them in when you want. So, if you're worried about workload, it is probably a good option. I'm not in New Jersey, but the credits do count for movement on my district's salary schedule.

8. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Feb 19, 2015

Thanks bella84! It is helpful to hear that someone recommended the program to you. Yes I have read that it is at your own pace for 6 months -- which I like a lot. Some weeks I am swamped with school work and other weeks I have some time that I can work on grad classes.

9. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 19, 2015

Our district has done away with all of them sadly (right before I was going to start taking them!). Killed me. My friend did a masters +45 so quickly. I'm stuck at masters.

My friends were doing the PDI courses through the University of San Diego, USD doesn't even recognize the courses.

Edit: I'm in Passaic County, NJ.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

No salary guide movement for grad classes/PD?

11. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 20, 2015

Yes, for grad classes, but not for these.
    Everyone started taking the PDI courses for $300 a class and paying the extra $99 for graduate credit, people started moving up so fast that the board started looking into them and now denies them. Now it's written in the contract they're not allowed.

My graduate classes were all $1600+, tuition reimbursement is $3000/year so I just take what I can pay back with tuition reimbursment.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

$3000 a year is nice although is probably only about 2 classes. We get $1500 total per three year option period.:eek: We've never had the 'cheapy' $300 type of classes approved.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 20, 2015

Yea it's very nice. I try to take advantage of it every year.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

I'm maxed out on salary scale at my step(Masters +60) but still find an occasional beneficial PD opportunity for which I get approval and remuneration. In addition my district s part of a multi-town consortium that share a curriculum center which provides awesome workshops for PD and count for hours.

15. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 20, 2015

Yea I have my master's right now, but only 3 additional credits. I want to get my math certification for middle school (I'm highly qualified) but the DOE doesn't accept any graduate classes in education. I'm going to request tuition reimbursement for undergrad classes, I hope it's approved because it wouldn't affect my pay, I would think the district would jump at this chance.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

I had six PBS Teacherline credits approved for use with my master's. The syllabus was studied by my grad school advisor, and approved as my electives. Make sure that you get that in writing, however, before taking the courses. I have also been approved for another course that will work in my TOSD certification. The cost of about $700 per three hours I just paid out of pocket, and that left more money available from my tuition reimbursement for the courses that are most expensive. I loved the PBS courses, and would take them again in a heartbeat. It covers six weeks, is all online, and it is busy, but not crazy busy. Don't know if everyone would like them, but I truly loved them. I think the real deciding factor is that the syllabus must line up with a similar course taken towards a degree. I chose the university where I already had gone for my undergrad as well as had finished a number of grad courses previously, and my NJ university accepted that without question. Here, it is always a great idea to check where the accreditation is, since the DOE can kick it out if it doesn't meet their criteria.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2015

Those credits don't have to be in a specific order or upper level courses, so if you test well and pretty much know the stuff, you might want to look at CLEP exams. If you pass them, virtually every CC will transfer them in, and then they can go directly to the state for certification. For content across the board, you need 30 credits, logical sequence, and about half upper level courses. MS just needs 15 credits, not pedagogy, in the subject, then be able to pass the Praxis II. The CLEP exams cost you about $100, and the number of credits varies per exam. For some, it will count about 4 credits, others will be slightly more. It is worth a look. I needed one three hour course to satisfy the state, because an English course on my transcript from the midwest was not accepted in NJ. I took one exam, earned six credits, and earned the endorsement. I had already aced the Praxis, so I wasn't concerned that I was actually deficient in knowledge - it was all about jumping through the right hoop for NJDOE.

18. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 20, 2015

lynettstoy, that is very helpful! I will definitely look into it! I am 1 credit short for my language arts certification in middle school and 11 short in my math. I passed all of the middle school praxis exams (with the exception of social studies). I will definitely look the CLEP things up! Thanks so much!!