Graduate and undergraduate GPA in selection process

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SC802, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SC802

SC802 New Member

Jul 17, 2014

I am trying to find a job as a school counselor but I am worried that I will have a difficult time finding work because of my low undergraduate GPA ( about a 2.7). My undergraduate degree was not related to counseling but schools are still asking to see the transcript. My GPA in graduate school for school counseling was a 3.77.

I know that this forum is mainly for teachers, but I am hoping that there may be some administrators hear that could tell me about how undergraduate GPAs are viewed in the hiring selection and ideas of what I can do to overcome this part of my application.

Thanks for your help

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2014

I have only had one district ask me for my GPA's for all of my degrees (three), however I believe the most recent degree is the one that bears the most weight, especially if it is the one that got you your certification, or er licence as the case may be with a counselor.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2014

I was hired partially due to my GPA according to the committee. However, it was my undergrad GPA, which is my licensing degree. I would think they would care more about the degree that's relevant to the job.

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 17, 2014

I don't think GPA is a big deal, maybe to certain hiring committees Many places just want to make sure you have the degree/experience.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2014

I think most people know that GPAs don't tell the whole story. I graduated high school with a 3.93, but my college GPA is only 3.27. The classes pertaining to education average to 3.91. I was really sick for a semester and a half and ended up having to have surgery mid-semester. I missed two weeks. Prior to the surgery, I wasn't doing well because I was so tired and run down all the time. In the 40 or so first interviews I've had, I've only been asked about it once. I explained and they understood. Didn't get the job, but they understood.