Grading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rachaelski, Sep 7, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

Hey all,

I am in the midst of grading my 100 weekly essays. So far, it hasn't been too bad, but I do not have daily assignments to grade. I teach 7th and 8th grade ELA. I give each group 3 assignments-- weekly writing project, weekly vocabulary project, and a reading log. Students get time to work in and out of class on these projects. In addition, every other week I give a standard assessment.

Do you think this is too few grades? I previously had a daily grade I put into the gradebook (exit tickets, classwork, etc), and I was so overwhelmed with grading all the time. This year the grading is very manageable. I like the grades I am giving, they are performance based (reading log requires some writing) and the vocab and writing projects are great forms of ongoing assessment.

What do you all grade? How many grades do you put into the gradebook weekly?

3. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Sep 7, 2009

We are required to have at least 15 grades per six weeks - 12 daily grades and 3 major assessment grades. Daily grades are 40% and major assessments are 60% of the six weeks average.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

We do not have a requirement for a particular number of grades. I normally have 2-3 grades per week. It has usually worked out fairly well for me. My students keep a notebook. I pick up about 15 notebooks per day and grade them on my off hour. I pick up everyone's notebook at least one time per week. I also usually give a quiz per week. The 3rd grade is usually a lab grade.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

115 students, and each week, they have: one essay, two quizzes, and a participation grade. They will also have a midterm and final exam.

115 essays and two quizzes - occasionally three - every week. That's what I do when I'm not out painting the town. Heh.

That's what I'm doing right now, in fact. And boy, these students don't even know how to put together a simple sentence, nor do they know how to follow directions. So far, I've not had an even halfway decent essay yet. They can't spell, either. Plus, they're typing with their forefingers. Sigh.

But boy, they're excellent at bubbling in the little circles, and making the mark heavy and dark. They just don't know how to think, reason, or put two and two together.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

Oh--you just hit on my pet peeve. They can not get over that I deduct points in science for grammar and spelling mistakes.

7. glen

glen Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I do, too. I tell my students spelling and communication skills ALWAYS count!

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

So it sounds like having 3-4 grades per week should be okay, right?

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2009

As long as the grades are for meaningful assessments (not just participation...), then 3-4 per week sounds reasonable.

I try to have 2 grades per week. We're on a rotating A/B block schedule, so I see students 2 or 3 times per week (depending on the week). I've gotten into the habit of giving an assessment just about every day.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2009

Our district requires a minimum of 10 grades per 10 week marking period. So that's only one grade per week. Most of us give about 2-3 grades per week.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

I definitely agree with this. I am a firm believer that grades should show what a student knows and not how well they behave. I really like the concept of a standards grading system.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 8, 2009

I give a quiz (or two a week in my AP Class). Usually two homework grades, which I grade for accuracy, and one homework grade. My only grade that doesn't reflect accuracy is their binder check grades, which end up being 5-10% of their grade. I'm big on taking grades on things other than tests and quizzes. My students are too keen on expecting that their homework assignments will just be checked for effort. By the time they see me in 9th grade History they should be able to read for content understanding and I'm gonna make sure of this.

13. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

I have 5-7 grades per course per semester. I assess a lot, but my grade book includes 5-7 grades at the end of a course (each grade includes 4 categories).