Grading

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Gwen, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Oct 22, 2008

I'm coming from Kindergarten and am new to 2nd grade. I'm wondering if you grade everything in 2nd grade? Workbooks, Practice Pages, etc. I've only been grading math tests, spelling tests, writing projects, projects, tests in general, and math papers. To be honest with all the work they do even that has been feeling like a lot to score and grade. Today I got called out by the reading teacher because I was not scoring the students language arts workbooks. I usually go through them and see if we need to review a concept but other than that I had not been giving scores (ex 9/10). Needless to say I was rather embarrassed.:eek: I guess I'm wondering what is reasonable to grade and score in 2nd grade and should I be grading and scoring everything?

3. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Oct 22, 2008

I wouldn't worry about scoring everything. I usually try to grade around two things from each subject each week.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 22, 2008

No Way!

Wow! There are very, very few things that I grade. I grade their weekly spelling tests and math tests--that's about it. I also grade their Theme Skills Tests, but that's mandatory. I have not and will NOT ever grade their language arts or math practice book pages; I just don't have time for that!!!

5. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Oct 22, 2008

Thank you. I feel more normal after reading this. I was feeling overwhelmed by all the grading and scoring I was and am doing.

6. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Oct 26, 2008

There is no way to possibly grade every paper that you have them do...not only is that a sure way to exhaust yourself mentally and physically, but it doesn't really give you a better picture of where they're at in understanding the concepts.

One thing I've done this year to keep from having students turn in all of their math workbook pages is have students bring them up to my desk and check their pages...when I've checked someone who got them all right, I have them become a "checker" and hand them a pen. Once I get two or three checkers, the other students go to them to have their papers checked and then I'm free to help students who are having trouble with that math concept. The kids love to be chosen as checkers! It's a win-win because then I don't have to go through all the papers at the end of the day.

7. lolabear1

lolabear1 Rookie

Nov 14, 2008

Our district requires two grades per subject each week. I do "quick-checks" with most workbook pages, which is where I circle what they need to correct and put a stamp on the top to acknowledge it. I struggle to get two grades each week (especially in science and social studies)!

8. Prof. Mat

Prof. Mat Rookie

Nov 17, 2008

for me i grade home work for extra credit and test as test i also have a place were if they bring in there homework the get a letter to try and spell homework so it is also a good way to gain participation most of my kids are doing great

:whistle:
    just another pointer

Dont be to harsh with grading ,your students will be discourage

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2008

I used to grade everything until the past few years where I've learned how to weed out the practice stuff from the measurement of mastery level.

I once read something that really stuck with me. Teachers should grade for learning not for practice. For example, imagine if every time we ever got on the road to practice driving We were given a grade and that grade was averaged into our final driving test? How many of us would earn a good final grade...good enough to even pass and get a driver's license? Aren't most us us thankful that we only are "graded" for that final test and not every time we practiced?

That's how I grade. I grade the pieces that show what they know after they have been given ample opportunities to practice the concepts. This means tests, quizzes, and projects. I give grades on practice pages by having students exchange and grade or having certain students come in early to grade papers voluntarily.

Even though there are scores on these practice papers, I don't record these grades. I give completetion grades of 100% in my gradebook toward homework or classwork for practice. I do check to make sure they are complete and that students understood the concepts. This is how I build my next lesson plans. Sometimes I have to reteach small groups of students before I have them move on.

10. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Dec 7, 2008

I don't grade everything. I think tests and quizzes should be graded along with projects. On rare occasion, if I am lacking grades for my gradebook, I'll grade a sheet or two.

I try hard not to give a grade lower than a 70. It's only happened a few times. Remember, they are only 7 years old and now is not the time to discourage learning. If the student is actually below a 70 and often, have a team meeting. Maybe the student needs testing and work may need to be modified?

Students who are achieving high marks regularly should also be watched. Some of these students get upset if they are below a 90. If this happens, remind the class that no one is perfect and we learn from mistakes. So, in answer to your question, no don't grade everything. Sorry, so long-winded! :thumb:

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2008

I was blessed by my college teacher this semester. He was tough and demanding but on the workbook homework, he allowed us to redo it until we got it right. This meant I wasn't afraid of the material nor was I afraid to take a risk. I panicked on the first homework assignment because I didn't know this policy yet and it took me 10 hours and I was scared to turn in the homework. It was THAT tough. Having to redo stuff meant he gave me specific feedback that I could take and learn from. The homework didn't count for much of my overall grade and it was a lot of work but I got a perfect score and I was willing to keep trying. I wasn't as discouraged by how hard the material was. I learned a lot from this professor by this simple strategy. Think about why you are grading. This was for practice. He wanted to encourage us to try. In other assignments we were demonstrating our knowledge (evaluation), those held higher grades and did not come with a redo.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2008

I just sent my above post to my college professor. :D

13. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Dec 17, 2008

I've been given a lot to think about. Thank you for sharing your grading philosophy and methods. I've come to the conclusion that the reading teacher that I spoke of in the original post is just cranky and for some reason I got on her bad side. However I'm glad that her interaction with me sparked this discussion. I am certainly re-thinking my approach to my grade book.

14. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

I score tests, but I do not score much of the daily work that they do. I will look over it and star it etc to see that they are doing it and understand the concepts. But really, I think it makes no sense to grade the "practice" portion of what they do. It use it only as a tool to see who need remediation etc. I do have a work ethic grade that I have to give, and that is based on whether or not they DO their daily work and homework that I send home as well as their classroom behavior.

15. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jan 8, 2009

I have students self-grade workbook pages in language arts and math. We spend about 5 minutes at the end of the lessons going over the answers, and I tell them what percentage to put at the top of their papers. ("If you got one wrong, write 95%, if you got two wrong, write 90%") Each week, I grade their spelling tests, their phonics assessment (5 questions) and their comprehension strategy application (5 questions). In math, I grade one quiz per week and chapter tests. Of course I grade all final drafts of written work as well.