Grading

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Bridget, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

This may seem like a very obvious and silly question, but I'm a little lost. I'm beginning to realize how much was just handed to me when I student taught. I'm a new elementary teacher. I graded piles of papers as a student teacher and put them into an online gradebook, but never learned what was a good way to actually weight the grades. I've begun working on my grading policy and would like some input. This is not my actual scale but for example, if you did 20% for quizzes, 50% for tests, and 30% for homework for math, do you keep it the same for all subjects? What about for classes where I want to do journals. For example, I want to do science journals for science and writing journals for Language Arts. Do people usually have a separate percentage for that or do you take the end of the quarter grade as a test, quiz, etc. When I student taught I remember a lot of science projects or journals would be calculated at the end of the quarter as a test grade. This may seem confusing, but if anyone can offer advice I'd appreciate it!

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 30, 2007

I teach High School ,but your grading weights eem alittle harsh for third grade. I only coubnt tests 35% with my 7th graders, 40% with my Honors Frehsmen, and 50% with my AP class. I think you are fogetting aobut classwork in your grading, classwork is pretty important. My son's teacher this year did:
    30%: Classwork
    20%: Homework
    30%: Tests
    20%: Quizzes

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

yikes, i haven't thought about this either! I know that i may very rarely take homework grades. i will make sure that the students at least attempt the homework. if they don't do it two days in a row, then they'll sit at recess and do it. but i'll have a system for recording basically a check mark if they did it, a space if they didn't, an a if they were out. but from what i know the team that you work with makes an overall decision about what weighs what. then you just plug it into the on-line grade book. at least you are lucky enough to have experience with using one. my student teaching supervisor teacher decided that i couldn't go near her computer to do that.

5. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks! My scale is not a real scale just so everyone knows. I was just throwing some numbers out there! Brendan_Ryan thanks for the example! Any other examples would be very helpful.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 30, 2007

I don't break my assignments into categories, but I do grade for a number of points. For example, an in class activity is usually 20 points, but a test is always 100. This gives me a lot of flexibility in determining how much something is worth.

7. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

to be honest I don't weight things in third grade....each unit gets one grade and we usually don't do more then one or two units per grading period in each subject....I use all different grade types in the unit and then average them in a way. I feel in third grade havign them weighted would be hard...jmo

I don't ever grade homework....there is no point in thir grade because you know mom and dad most likely helped and changed the answer....as long as they are learning that is the main goal of homework...

I grade all through out the unit with quizzes and independent work...then I give a test and sort of average it all together...depending on how they were the entire unit will also depend on the grade....

We use standards based grading so it is a little different then percents.

8. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I just give a set amount per assignment based on number of problems or the amount of work required to complete that particular assignment. My tests are all out of 50 points, journals are typically 5 points a piece.

9. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I just want to clarify with some of you...It seems that keeping it flexible is the way to go with 3rd grade grading! Agdamity...do you just average all the percentages at the end of the quarter together whether it was a small assignment or a final test? Does anyone out there weight grades in 3rd grade? If so, what is your system? I will be the only 3rd grade teacher in my school, which makes it a little overwhelming!

10. ivgotahalo

ivgotahalo Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I just grade everything on a 100% scale. I don't weight my grade book. I have enough work... i don't want to put the extra work on myself... I put my grades into a computer program I got at my local education store.

11. julie_ann_

julie_ann_ Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

For our third graders,

we do daily/homework 60% and tests/projects 40%.

12. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 30, 2007

At my school, we've always determined the weights as a grade-level team. That way we don't have one teacher on the team using tests as fifty percent of the overall grade while someone else only uses them as twenty percent. Is there a veteran teacher on your grade level who can tell you whether or not you even have to decide on your own? It could be that you're stressing over something that will be or already has been determined by the other teachers.

13. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I don't use percentiles too much in grade 3 because our report cards are objective specific and the students are given a mark on a 1-5 scale. For example, I usually have 5-6 objectives for math on the report card and each gets a different mark depending on their level of achievement in that area. Our report cards are new and we realized last year that we were often giving marking things that did not fit in anywhere on our report card. Therefore it was a waste of time correcting and marking certain things. I would definitely check out your report card and see how you are expected to grade things. Since my report cards are objective specific I would use their unit test to determine whether they understood/could reach each objective or not. My teaching partner last year corrected and graded everything the kids did, homework, mad minutes... everything! I would correct everything with the students but I didn't waste my time recording all of the marks because all that really mattered was if they had achieved the objective by the end of the term. Also, on our report cards we have a section for participation, homework, etc... These get a mark such as consistently, usually, sometimes or rarely. Therefore, I record when a homework was incomplete but I don't ever record the mark. I always tell the kids not to worry if they got something wrong in their homework, because all that matters is if they can do it later on the test. I find the kids are very honest when correcting their work because they know that I won't use the mark. However I can still get an idea of who is having trouble and with what so I can help them. Sorry for the long post, I hope it answers some of your questions.

14. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Third grade teachers....do you put homework grades into the grade book? What about the kids who receive "too much help" at home? (and the kids who receive no help)...In my opinion, I find the purpose for homework is to practice the new skill learned. I usually grade in- class assignments, quizzes, projects and tests. I count tests twice.

15. thirdsy

thirdsy New Member

Aug 1, 2007

how much should tests count?

:blush: I am so glad I found this thread. I am new here and a new teacher.

Question -- how much should tests count toward a third grader's report card grades?

I am at a new school and the team here is using this system where -- for example -- 50% of the reading grade is various unit tests and theme tests, along with AR test averages. Only 20% of the reading grade comes from classwork. The rest is computerized reading programs such as SuccessMaker. Also they are using 5% of the grade from reading homework! Yikes! I am positive that many of those kids are having homework help at home.

I would like to switch it so that the grade is more like 30-40% test scores, 30-40% classwork and the rest from the computerized reading programs. And no homework. What do you all think?:thanks: