Grading

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by dizzykates, Sep 16, 2006.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 16, 2006

How do you keep on top of the grading in this job? I am having the students correct one assignment at week, and then I either check off that the other assignment is done and here or I take it home to correct for actual correctness. In addition, how do you keep track of late work? I have kids failling just because they don't turn work in. Do you track them down? How is it reflected in your grade book? I told my kids that if their work is late they get one point if it's done well (aka correct) normally they get 3 points for having it done on time and correct. I am starting to wonder if it's possible to stay on top of this...any advice or insight into grading would be great!!

3. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Sep 16, 2006

I'm in a similar boat as you. I took a long term subbing assignment for a Spanish teacher. They have had subs all year with no grades. I took home a mountain of paperwork to grade, started to grade it, and got as far as grading three assignments for the five classes I have (I have a total of about 110 kids), so that was quite a bit of work! I talked to my mentor teacher, and she said to give some participation grades so I didn't have to actually grade everything. Whatever the kids did before I got there will be passing, no matter how they did on things because they haven't been taught on how to do stuff. And I'm letting my mom help me grade papers. That helps. I have had 14 college Spanish hours, so I know what the kids are learning. Right now, I've got almost half of the papers graded, and the end of the six weeks is this week. The regular teacher had passed out hall passes at the start of the year. Any unused hall passes counted towards a free grade, and the kids handed that in for all the missing work. When I see who had turned one of those in, I will deal with the rest accordingly. I believe they will have one extra day to turn in any missing work, or it's a zero. That's just the way I've been doing things so far. I hope this helps!

4. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Sep 16, 2006

I confess, I usually spend one day each week-end grading. Not ideal, but...

As for late work, I am fortunate that my school has "Academic Saturday School." I only use this when students are really starting to do poorly gradewise due to missing work. We can assign students to come on Saturday and leave all the make-up work they need to do with the supervising teacher. If they choose not to come, that's fine...we've made the effort.

5. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Sep 16, 2006

I wish my school had that. That would be nice for everyone!

6. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 16, 2006

You can have them self or peer mark. On worksheets that need to be marked but not graded, I frequently have the students switch papers and then read out the answers. They mark each other's work. (Have them initial the bottom and be up front the first time that people who "accidentally" mark things wrong that are right or vice versa will have those marks deducted from their own grade. I've never had a problem since starting this policy.)
    I will write the date the assignment is due in my grade book. When the assignments come in, I just use a date stamp and date stamp them. Then, when I mark, a quick check is all that is needed to see if an assignment is late. (and appropriate marks deducted!)

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 16, 2006

I too teach Spanish Texas. I have 405 students and am just barely getting by. I like the idea of a date stamp. I know I could easily spend a day each weekend grading, but I strongly believe that weekends are my time so much for than an afternoon (if I have it) really irritates me and makes me feel as though I am cheating my family. I already spend evenings working. I have responsibilities outside of class and figure I may as well figure out how to work that before I have kids b/c then I am sure it just gets harder...keep the suggestions rolling, I know many of you have great ideas!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2006

I'm grade 7 math. I teach 180 kids.

I check homework every day-- I walk around the room and check each student's work. So that takes about 3 minutes, then we go over any that they had questions on.

I quiz once or twice a week, and test every other week. I try to schedule the tests at my own convenience; I love Fridays!!! The quizes tend to be easy to grade-- I set them up with some thought to that. So there's either an answer blank (you could set up a row along either margin for answers, then just line up your answer key next to it) or there are blanks along each row.

Also, consider using a scantron if your school has one. I personally don't use it except for trimester exams, (since partial credit is hard) but just about every other subject uses it all the time.

9. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Sep 17, 2006

I use a similar method as Alice - I check homeowkr daily by walking around the room during warm up. I have a handheld that feeds directly into my gradebook so I dont have to recopy or calculate anything. Then, the students hand in all of their homework the last day of the week in a packet. I check this to make sure they reviewed the homework with us.

I give a quiz 1x per week - I make it very easy for me to grade. Every 2 weeks they have a test. When the test gets above 25 questions, I make it a scantron and have them show their work on a separate sheet of paper. I can grade the scantron that day and give back the test the next day. I look at the separate page later and give them some points for that too. This is for pre algebra.

Find a system that works best for you. I dont accept any paper that is not done exactly how i want it to look. With nearly 200 kids, you have to do that...

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 17, 2006

For most homework and classwork just walk around the room while student's are doing an assignment or warm-up and check it for completion. Give a check 100% if the assignment is complete and shows effort, a check minus 50% if the assignment is incomplete or 0 if the assignment is not turned in. Then go over it with your class. Occasionaly collect the assignments once they have been corrected and give them a corrections grade, which counts as a classwork grade in my class.

Late work:

Students in my classes have untill the next day to bring in completion graded assignments for late credit (50%). I check them just as I would as any other assignment, during the warm-up.

Absences:

All make-up work due to absences is turned it to me and corrected by me so that student's will have the right answers to study for tests and quizzes. However, even if I correct it myself it will still be graded on completion, most of the time.

For things I acutally grade and give a percent grade loose 10 percent for each day turned late. For example, if a student recieves a 100% on an assignment that they turned in two days late, the student would reciecve an 80% in the grade book.

I actually grade one assignment, a quiz or test, and all projects for accuracy each week.

I would also suggest using a gradebook program to save time when calculating grades.

Check out this link to help you with grading:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=19609

11. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

I pick up all of their homework on friday ( 5 assignments) and I give them a grade for completion.

12. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

I agree hernandoreading, I usually spend a good chunk of my Saturday grading... Someday when I have more experience I hope to cut most of that out. (I can dream, right?)
    As for late work, I was first considering a policy of 10 points off per day it's late, but after talking to other teachers in my grade and content area we decided to have one uniform late work policy - whenever it's late, 1 day or 10 days, they get 50% of their score. I'm not 100% sold on this policy yet, perhaps partly because I don't feel I'm enforcing it consistently yet with whether a student had an exused absence or not, but I'll see as the year goes on.
    As for make-up work, there is a test make-up center at our school that is a GODSEND! Whenever a kid misses a test/quiz I just send it there with their name and instructions and they are responsible to go there and do it, and the center returns it to me. I use it SO often!