GRADING

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DawnR, May 19, 2016.

1. DawnR

DawnR Rookie

May 19, 2016

Okay, so I found a job! FINALLY! The only thing that I am hugely concerned about is how to set values to my grading. We didn't talk about anything like that in college. How do I know what tests are worth, or what daily grades are worth, or what participation grades are worth. Is that something set by my district, or is that something I set on my own based on how I choose to instruct the class.

Something like... Daily Grades & Homework are worth 25% and Tests, Projects etc are worth 50% of their average. How do I know what to set these at?

I would appreciate any good resources anyone could share. I do not even know what you call that? Is it a grading scale?

Thank you in advance.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 19, 2016

There's a good chance that this decision is already made for you. You might have to set grades as a grade level (4th/5th grade) or by department if you're in high school. Some grades might be determined by the district.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 19, 2016

Find this out first. If you have a say in it, I don't think there's really a "right" answer to how to do this. You can ask what other teachers are doing.

You can also adjust as you learn more about your class. For example, homework and at-home projects are worth a pretty good portion of my grading, but I have a student population that actually turns in homework. Some teachers do not. If I worked somewhere where there was less home support, I might make homework worth fewer points.

Also, some schools encourage participation points, while others do not. So again, ask first to see if your school has guidelines.

I work with points, not percentages. However, my percentages would come out to be about 50% tests, 25% homework, 25% classwork, to give you a very general idea.

DawnR likes this.
  5. DawnR

DawnR Rookie

May 19, 2016

Thank you both so very much. I am hoping this is set by my district. Thanks for being supportive in offering answers. It is unreal the things that I feel I am being slapped in the face with, that I did not learn in school. Already. I am trying to not let it get me down. :)

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 19, 2016

Don't let it get you down. In the big scheme of things, this is a really little thing, and you can adjust as you go.

I'd say, be sure you have a really solid classroom management plan and an idea of how you'll start the year curriculum-wise. Look up the curriculum you'll be using or get ahold of a teacher edition. The rest will fall into place. You don't need to know everything right away!

Obadiah likes this.
  7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 20, 2016

If it is not set in your district, find out how it is set by the others in the grade you will be teaching. Being in-line with the others will make it a bit easier for you as a new teacher.

TamiJ likes this.
  8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 21, 2016

I agree with the advice that if it's not set by the district, see what other teachers at your school are doing. I personally prefer a total points system and to not have it be broken down by categories. If you want something to have a bigger impact on their grade, make it higher points. Smaller homework and classwork assignments can be set for small points.

otterpop likes this.
  9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 23, 2016

I had no idea what to do with grades when I started either. All I knew was that our district said HW couldn't be worth more than 10% of the overall grading period grade. I played with scores and changed my approach several times before settling on working with points in categories. HW is 10 pts and scored on effort. Classwork is anywhere from 15 - 35 points depending on how involved it is, quizzes are 50 points, tests/projects are 100 pts. Others have made everything worth 100 pts. but weighted each type of assignment differently.

As others have said, grading is a small potato compared to knowing your curriculum and classroom management plan.

Good luck!

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 24, 2016

Do some research online to see what people are doing with grades - some schools/colleges will have their grading systems online.

http://cms.bsu.edu/about/administra...cellence/resources/teachingtips/simplegrading

I do a point system -
    HW and Do Now's - 10 - 29 points
    Lab Reports/Quizzes/Conclusions - 30 points - 49 points
    Tests/Projects - 50 points +

That way everything is balanced - homework is worth less than a test. Then you just put the points in and can figure out percentages from there.