Grading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by OUOhYeah, Oct 4, 2015.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Oct 4, 2015

I teach 5th and 6th grade and I just got a new online grading system from my school... I was wondering if I should do Total Points or Weighted Averages? If weighted averages, what should the assignments types be and their weight?

I teach all subjects by the way.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 4, 2015

I do total points. Larger assignments are worth more points, so it kind of creates a weight system anyway.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 4, 2015

I did this for the past few years. This year I am going back to weighted categories:

Tests/Quizzes - 50%
    Projects - 20%
    Homework - 10%
    Daily Work (anything we do in class that is graded - 20%

5. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Oct 4, 2015

Would you do this with all of your classes? I mean I somehow have spelling listed as a class, but really it should be ELA.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 4, 2015

I do weighted, because assessments are important to me and I don't want that information thrown off by practices I still grade.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 5, 2015

Our school tells us how we are to grade them. We have to do fifty percent test and fifty percent daily grade.

8. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 5, 2015

Weighted. I've never done total points and quite frankly don't understand it. Weighted does all the work for you. Now it's a requirement in my school to do weighted because I guess it's been a problem for many teachers that would end up having 50% homework grades because they decided to collect more homework one marking period. It's a lot more math with total points and you have to be really careful.
    With weighted, everything is 100 points and all assignments count the same in each category. Even if I give a 30 point quiz, I count the final grade out of 100. I think some teachers do total points under a weighted system though.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 5, 2015

We are required for homework to be no more than 10%. Our final exams are automatically weighted 25% (by state law...ugh.) Other than that, I do points, and make tests and quizzes worth more points. I don't like weighted categories because it is harder for parents and students to figure out their grade by hand. It seems like more math to do weighted categories because then you have to figure out the total for each category and then weight it. Our gradebook software does all of the math for us, but I don't know any teachers at my school who weight categories.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 5, 2015

When I taught 5th and 6th, I would have varied the breakdown. This simply wouldn't work for a subject like spelling. I teach 6 sections of the same thing every day.

11. janis

janis Companion

Oct 6, 2015

I've recently switch to "weighing" assignments (texts x2, small quizzes or small assignments worth .5), regular assignments or lengthy quizzes x1

12. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 12, 2015

I do total points but mainly because I am new to the grade level and have not thought about doing it the other way. Maybe that will be a change for next year. I make assessment, tests etc worth more points.