Grading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 9, 2012

• When do you get most of your grading done? (Weekend or During School Hours)
    • Have you ever messed up a students grade? (Giving a zero by accident... or instead of a 85 for some reason you typed in 95 or 75)

• Has there ever been a time where you were entering in grades and the program did not save or you forgot to save the grades? So you had to re-enter the grades in.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

I do 99% of my grading during my prep periods. Very rarely, as in maybe once per year, I have to take a stack of work home to grade. This usually happens when I am dumb and assign a project a week before grades are due.

I am sure I have messed up from time to time. Since I post grades online, though, students are able to see those errors and come talk to me right away. I'll just go in and fix it in the computer, no big deal.

I haven't had to re-enter grades yet. We have a newish gradebook software this year, though, and I'm having some concerns that it is eating my grades. Like, I specifically remember entering a grade for someone, but then the next day that grade shows up as "missing". I've been getting into the habit of printing out my gradebook just so that I can have a paper backup just in case.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

I do the vast amount of my grading at school. I tend to prep at home, but grade at school. There are exceptions, of course.

I think everyone makes the occasional error. I probably make more than my share, since I'm pretty determined to get tests back the day after they take them. My kids know that any error that leaves me owing them points should be brought to my attention, but that if I somehow gave them extra points, they're a gift. (Though I do want them to correct the error in the material.)

I use a paper gradebook, and only enter grades on computer 5 times a year (3 marking periods, plus 2 sets of progress reports.)
    But since we enter one class at a time, we're talking about a max of 40 or so grades if there's an error-- really no big deal.

5. kme93

kme93 Companion

Oct 10, 2012

I like to grade at home in front of the TV :) I do all of my prep work at school though. I put all of my student's grades in the computer and they're posted online. If I make a mistake and they can prove it (like checked homework or transposed numbers), I'll correct it. If it's in the student's favor (like I accidentally gave them extra points), I do not correct it.

Last year, one of our teachers hadn't made back up copies of her gradebook yet and her house burned down. I don't remember what was done, but sometimes things happen. I've never had a problem with the gradebook not saving grades.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Oct 10, 2012

I grade any time I can. I keep a writtine copy of grades in a grade book for backup proof.

Yes, I've made mistakes; I'm human not a computer.

Yes, the computer even makes mistakes because the program didn't have a warning piece that worked.

Bottom line: yes, we make mistakes. Yes, it'll affect someone. Yes, it can be fixed. Nothing is written in stone.

Happy grading!

7. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Oct 10, 2012

I grade during preps. I sometimes grade when my English classes are doing SSR (sometimes, I read during that time). I grade when they are working on something.

I've made mistakes. If a kid catches it on the actual paper, I fix it. But like the above poster, if the error is in their favor, I don't lower their grade.

I've counted stuff wrong that I shouldn't have. I've put a 10 instead of a 100 or I've put a 1000 instead of a 100 in the gradebook (my gradebook is online). Last year, for one assignment, I put the grade as a possible 1000 points instead of 100 points. A student came in and told me because she obsessively checks her grades online so that if a bad grade or a zero gets logged in she can take care of it before her mother sees it.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2012

I grade some at school and some on Sunday afternoons. I don't do school work at home any other time.

Sure, I've put things in the grade book wrong. Well, I've made fewer mistakes since the "improvement" of the online grade, as it's easier to mistype than to write it down wrong. Plus, the program sometimes drops grades or mis-posts.

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 10, 2012

I do a lot of my grading at school during my prep period or study hall. I did bring some papers home to do tonight since I didn't get to them by the end of the day. I should be able to correct/enter them in about 15 minutes, though.

I have made mistakes before, but that doesn't usually happen! Actually, a student emailed me yesterday because I entered a zero for an assignment in PowerSchool. He claimed he turned it in, so I told him that I would double check my papers today. I didn't have it, and I am not at all the type to lose a student's paper. I actually think I'll email him right now to follow-up on that!

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2012

After school or on the weekends... sometimes when the kids are doing independent work, but that rarely pans out. Planning is done on the weekend.

My prep is usually spent responding to emails, phone calls, copying, in meetings, or prepping the room. I can't remember the last time I actually got to plan or grade during my prep.

Mistakes... yup. It happens. Especially when you're trying to do 17 other things at the same time.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2012

After school or Sunday evenings for me, occasionally if they're working on a test or like today when we went to the public library for independent reading.

Yes, I've made mistakes. Earlier this year I made an assignment worth more points than the typical assignment in that subject. They are usually all worth 10. So, for one student I accidentally entered 10 instead of 30. The parent sent me a polite e-mail, and I fixed the error.

I've had times where I've entered sets of grades and then forgotten to hit the submit button, so they all disappear. Usually I notice right away, but once or twice I haven't noticed until later.

A few years ago, the website we were using for our grading program went out of business halfway through the year. We had to figure grades manually for the remainder of the year, and luckily we had back-up copies. What really stunk was that you had to go back through and merge the early online grades with your paper ones for that trimester (we had to manually figure the totals--those weren't on the print outs). It took forever!

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 10, 2012

Update: The student's mother sent me an email that she found the completed assignment in his notebook. I'm glad I'm not going crazy!

13. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 10, 2012

Awesome.

14. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 10, 2012

It almost seems like I never have to worry if there's something wrong with a grade I've given. If my principal doesn't like a grade, he'll change it!

:lol:

15. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 10, 2012

Wow. :eek:

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 11, 2012

I try to do most of my grading at school. Larger essays and projects though usually come home with me as they require my undivided attention, whereas most daily assignments, quizzes, and parts of some tests I can grade part of, be interrupted, and then go back to it.

I've had some trouble at my old school with our old crappy grading program. Here we use powerschool and it is great.

I'm pretty accurate about grading. My kids also know to save everything I return to them so if there is a question about a grade they can show it to me. Also, since most things in my class are submitted electronically, I have backed up copies of graded assignments on Google Docs.

17. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 11, 2012

I grade while at school. I used to bring it home, but it would always take me longer because of the distractions at home. At school it gets done more quickly because I only have so much time and I am focused. I do make mistakes, but the students are quick to let me know and I just change them.

18. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 11, 2012

Back in 2005 power school's power gradebook program had an error that I discovered (at least it seems that I was the only one). I think it resulted in a lot of grade book errors that went unnoticed to this day.
    I actually started using P/S in 2004 when I took a job in a little naive district in the mountains. I heard that the district was basically a guinea pig getting it for free or for a big discount or something. It was sold to them in 2003 as a program that was supposed to work hand in hand with Microsoft Excel. Since I am an expert in Excel (at least scored as one with Microsoft Office testing) I was happy to get into Power School. Well, it wasn’t as advertised and I wasn’t happy with P/S. The next year I got a job with another school which started using P/S for the 2005-2006 school year. During my interview, I actually told the principal that I didn’t think much of P/S, but he hired me anyway. I took the job just to return to civilization. I discovered the error that year. It was a serious error which would have been a very common mistake, but easily overlooked. One would have to sift through mounds of data to become aware of the error. I reported it and it was corrected shortly after. But I recall during a parent meeting that I discovered a mistake in the child’s grade resulting from that error. Well, the parent wanted me to go through every assignment and there were a lot as I gave grades every day. It finally came down to me explaining to the parent that the power school program had an error. The parent replied that I made the mistake and that the program did not have an error. So I demonstrated how the program produced the error and how it could easily affect student's grades without notice. The parent did a 180 with me, stood up in a huff and practically stomped out of the room and basically said to others who were waiting that power school has errors.
    I was able to spot the errors because I always keep my grades with another back up Excel program as well as P/S. Excel is so easy that it doesn't take much extra time.
    I didn't last long at that school either. Also, I think some P/S company people know who I am.