Grading

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 7, 2011

Do you ever get overwhelmed? Thinking how am I ever gonna get all this graded?

Is it stressful to grade because I happened to think about it.. teachers normally Secondary don't just teach one or two periods... they usually teach like five and I'm guessing at least 20 in each class.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2011

To put it simply: Yes!

I do not have a prep period during the school day, so I'm constantly trying to stay on top of grading. The stress, however, comes when I fall behind. As long as I stay reasonably caught up, it's manageable. (And as an elementary teacher, I grade 9 subjects...)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2011

I teach 5 classes, each averaging about 38 students.

I do try to stagger the grading, so not all classes come in at the same time. But this year, with 4 geometry and one Algebra class, (in addition to SAT classes that weren't graded) I just had to acknowledge that some nights I was going to get slammed.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 7, 2011

That is just part of the job.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 7, 2011

yes it does get overwhelming especially when you don't plan well :)

The first year I taught two different AP courses, I didn't look at the big picture of the due dates with my two different AP courses. I got slammed ;) I had both classes turning in essays during the same week which equalled about 75 essays to read ~ yikes. I quickly had to readjust my assignments so I could get all my grading done.

Every teacher I know has some sort of system for grading to make it more manageable. For me, I needed a system that was portable so I could grade anywhere and anytime I had a few minutes. It has gotten easier since my kids are older.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2011

Not anymore! I have one period of math. We check everything together. None of it is graded. When we think we're ready for a quiz, I give a quick assessment, and they hang around with tongues out waiting for me to grade it right then and there. There were 24 kids in that class this year. They really pushed themselves and were very invested in learning the material. Perhaps it was because they assessed their work themselves?

Then the rest of the day was for writing. That can get tedious once every month when I would give an assignment and grade it. However I am changing the way I do things this coming year.
    Usually the kids work on pieces and we conference and talk about what they've done that works, what needs improvement, etc. This time, after the conferences have started up for a bit, we're going to assess one piece of writing together using the state rubric.

The problem comes when there is a stack of paper waiting to be graded. I think I can eliminate that by assessing with the student.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 7, 2011

I stagger due dates for big assignments, and I often "spot check" assignments or let the kids check & correct their own work. We're moving toward standards-based grading, which is going to be more of a grading nightmare because I'm just learning how to do it.

I typically teach 5 classes with between 25-32 students per class.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 7, 2011

My kids have laptops. My students take all quizzes, tests, exams, etc. on there. It grades anything that is objective (multiple choice, matching, fill-ins, etc.) for me. I just go in and check the essays and short answers myself and assign points and comments. Basically, everything my students turn-in via Google Docs and I edit, comment, and assign a grade. No more papers for me to take home. In terms of due dates I can always stagger assignment due dates, tests, and quizzes but I can't do much about exams or daily work. For major assignments I can stagger them by a week or so by starting them a week later or earlier than the other class, but for quizzes and daily assignments I am giving them at such frequency that I can't stagger them. I am going to assign homework that needs collecting and give quizzes that need grading each week. I do try and only collect one class set of homework per day and give quizzes on different days, but it doesn't usually work. The key for me is to grade and return things immediately. Homework and quizzes I try and return by the next day, at worst, 2 days.