Grading worries for my sp. ed. children!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by LATechTeacher, Sep 2, 2006.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Sep 2, 2006

I need some help! I am a reg. ed. teacher with 5 inclusion students in my classroom. I have a sp. ed. teacher come in twice a day to help with the students. I have asked her this question but she is new, and was not sure. I have heard that if you make a modification on a test/worksheet and you take a grade on it you cannot give them above a C even if they do not miss anything. Is this correct or not? I would greatly appreciate any help. I live in LA if that helps any! Thanks!

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 2, 2006

I'd contact the office of Special Education for your district-- this doesn't seem right but who knows... I haven't heard of anything about this in our school and although I teach Pre-K I go to the all grade sped meetings..

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 2, 2006

that doesn't sounds right to me, either... like turtle said, I'd check with a special ed. administrator...

5. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 2, 2006

I know that here in Ontario, any time you modify a program, you have to write an IEP. That being said, if they get everything right in their modified program, they are entitled to that A. The problem is that the parents see the "A" and assume that it means in the regular curriculum (and this is even after going over the IEP and explaining what modified programs are and how they are graded differently from the regular curriculum! :( ) But.... I would still check with your district/school board Special Education department.

6. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 2, 2006

I give grades for all my students in all the subject areas that I teach. Last year I taught my students math, language, science and social studies (modified programs, of course - with IEPs) and they were given grades in all subjects and strands.

7. Ms.S60074

Ms.S60074 Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

What do you mean by modification? Because if it was just a change in number of questions, how the questions were worded, multiple choice vs. short answer, word banks provided etc...the grade should be the same because it is only an accommodation. I believe when you make an accommodation the grades should stay the same because you are just helping the student access the SAME curriculum. But if you are teaching 5th grade science, for example, and give a kid a test on 1st grade science, then a different grade needs to be given because this is a MODIFICATION to the curriculum. With accommodations the content being taught stays the same.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 3, 2006

I've been in 3 different inclusion classrooms (as a student teacher and then as a long-term sub) where I was responsible for grading the students. I've never heard that students who are on IEPs can't receive above a C. Everyone concerned with the grades knows that an IEP is in place and if there is an A on the report card that A was earned with the accomodations on the IEP being made.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2006

It is our guideline that students with IEPs should not be receiving below a C. If the student is not able to achieve a C level on the expectations on the IEP, then it must be rewritten to enable success (of course, refusal to work is another issue). On our report cards, the comments on those subjects which are on the IEP are prefaced with the phrase, "The mark in (English) is based on the expectations in the IEP which vary from grade level expectations. John is working at a grade _____ level in (subject)."

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 3, 2006

I give my students a grade. We do have a comment on our report cards that say "IEP modified". This way anyone looking at the report card will know that the curriculum has been modified in some way and that the student did not do the same curriculum as a general ed. student. If the curriculum was not modified and the student did everything that a regular ed. student was expected to do, we just do not use the comment.

I have a co-worker who starts all of her students off with a "B". If they work above expectations she gives them a "A". If they work below expectations they get a "C" and if they don't work, they get a "D". She also used the "IEP modified" comment when she grades this way.

11. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Sep 3, 2006

Thanks I guess I was given the wrong information.

12. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 3, 2006

We do not give below a 70 on anything if the child has tried to do the work modified or not, now if they are a slacker sleep in your class do not turn in papers etc. then you are allowed to grade below a 70 but if you do this you better have good documentation of this.

13. ms.k

ms.k Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

I believe you need to check the policy of your district. Remember though that modifications are available to all students whether they are in special ed or not. We always document them. In my district, a student on an IEP can receive an A but the report card says Adjusted beside the grade to reflect that they are working below grade level.

14. bjweyant

bjweyant Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

Hi - I teach a mild/moderate class in California. Grades in SPED are a touchy subject but there are some general rules that I follow when giving grades. Students who are doing work below their grade-level (4th grader doing 2nd grade work) can only be given a 'C' on a regular report card. Along with that 'C' - it must be noted that it is a modified program. HOWEVER, if the student is doing grade-level appropriate work, they can recieve a regular report card with their actual earned grade.

In a classroom like mine - full day special ed - I have an alternative report card I am able to use. This report card includes places for IEP goals/objectives progress and letter grades. I do not have to write that there are modifications being made on this report card. It is a given.

As far as the difinition of Modification, for our friend that thought it meant whatever the teacher wanted it to:) , modification and accomodation are clearly defined words in the world of SPED. An accomodation is something we do to allow students to participate in the regular curriculum. We can shorten assignments, give oral exams, allow for alternative projects, etc... IF the student is doing fifth grade social studies in the 5th grade with a little extra help - it is an accomodation. A modification substantially changes the curriculum. Our 5th grader is working on 2nd grade material or, as in the case of one of my students, is learning her numbers. We have modified the curriculum to an instructional level rather than trying to teach grade-level material.

15. spedteach47

spedteach47 New Member

Jan 18, 2007

Grading SPED Kids

Here is my issue with grading. I have a cross-cat classroom and several of my students are not working at grade level especially in reading. I have a 5th grader who reads at a 2nd grade level, and does 2nd grade work in my class. Your telling me that even though he works his butt off, and shows improvement that he can only be given a C because he is working at a lower level than his peers. The problem that I have with that is that by saying that, you are now grouping him with his peers. That's not the point of an IEP. They are individualized. Why doesn't my student deserve an A if he does A work at his level? Isn't that the point of an IEP? To accomodate to be successful, and to modify to bring down to their level of understanding

16. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Jan 18, 2007

You can give him an A if he is performing at IEP level, we are just saying he cannot go below a 70 if he is working hard but still not passing the class. When grading an IEP objective youneed tolookat what percentile he is suppose to achieve on that goal so if he is suppose to get 5 out of 10 question right 70% of the time and he always gets 5 out of 10 right or more than he has achieved that 70% goal so you would say he has mastered it and give him a 100 in your gradebook. Then at his next ARD if he is performing above then they will change his IEP. Just don't even look at his work as being below the class,the work givent o himis on his level and is modified so you should grade it indivdually and give him the grade he deserves, the only gray area you get into is if he did his work and got nothing right on it but tried, then you give him a 70 and not lower, if he did the work and did not try and got everything wrong then you can give him a lower grade.

17. spedteach47

spedteach47 New Member

Jan 18, 2007

Right. That's what I understood. This students works his tail off most of the time and even when working independently on work at his own level, he is doing very well on his assignments. My principal told me that he should be not getting anything above a C because he only reads at a 2nd grade level in the 5th grade. I am in grave danger of losing my job over this but at the same time I don't want my students to think they are being penalized for work hard.

18. MissENJ

MissENJ Rookie

Jan 18, 2007

Is it in the student's IEP that his mastery level is 70%? If so, a C would equal an A for him. I can't believe you're in danger of losing your job for trying to do something right for a student! Maybe that principal needs to learn more about Special Education.

19. bjweyant

bjweyant Rookie

Jan 19, 2007

If the student is in the 5th grade, reads at a 2nd grade level and is doing the same work that other students are doing in Science/Social Studies/Music/Art/PE - you can give him any grade he earns. If, on the other hand, you are giving him a grade in Reading/Writing/Language Arts - you can't give him below a "C" nor can you give him above a "C" unless he is doing the SAME work as the other students. If he is doing the same work - you can give him any grade he earns. IT SUCKS!!!! as my kids would say. Find another way to let him know how proud you are of him. Give him an award to take home to his parents. Do something - but to give him an "A" when he is only doing 2nd grade level work in a 5th grade classroom is usually not allowed.
    In California, we have state standards and "A" is a sign that they are performing proficiently at grade level on the standards for that grade level. Although my principles would allow it, my principal would not.