Grading workbooks and small groups of 10???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissK2015, Sep 16, 2018.

1. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018

We have to grade classwork every week in second grade. Most teacher are grading off of students' work in their workbooks. On Fridays I collect all of their 4 workbooks of different subjects and I look through them to see how many wrong they got. I then give them an overall grade for each workbook of the classwork for that week. I find it really time consuming! Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, I am finding it really challenging to do small group reading at my school. I need to keep up with my grade level. I have 20 students and the other teachers have 2-3 groups of 8-10 students! This is not small group at all. I don't know how I could possibly make small groups when we all need to be on the same books at the same time! Also our small group time is 45-50 minutes and we only have it 3 times a week on our schedule.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2018

Do you not see their classwork other than at the end of the week? Is there a way you could either correct that classwork together or provide quicker feedback more regularly so that students can receive more immediate feedback?

In general, one helpful strategy for making the "whole class at once" grading is to split the class into five groups of kids (not literally, but just for grading purposes), and grade one group's worth a day. Essentially, instead of doing a full class over the weekend, you're doing 1/5 of a class each day. If you're going over things as a class, it might even become quicker.

With your small groups, if you do it at least somewhat leveled, you could make it a 4-group, 5-students-each rotation (or 4 groups with varying amounts depending on how much attention you need to give certain students), meeting with your strongest group just once a week (they can be more independent), your weakest group the most (all 3 times). Something like this, where A is the group needing the most time with you, D is the one that's more independent. That still allows you three groups a day to allow for greater time, and differentiates to what they need.

Day 1 -D, A, B
    Day 2 - C, A, B
    Day 3 - A, B, C

4. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018

Thanks for your reply! I do grade them throughout the week but Fridays I review all of their grades and give them an overall grade! Helpful suggestions! @mathmagic

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 18, 2018

Maybe a google form to keep track daily so all you need to do is check what you put each day and make the grade from that? Or, determine the grade the day you check it. (Then group 1 is always graded Monday to Monday, 2 is graded Tuesday to Tuesday etc, but you only record online gradebook on Fridays)