Grading Systems

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by quaker3, Oct 7, 2007.

1. quaker3

quaker3 Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I feel like an idiot. Can anyone clue me into how a point based grading system works. I feel that I need to weigh my tests more than homework or quizzes and I am just not sure how this comes into play with a grade points system Help. I feel like I am the only one that does not understand this at all. We have a program that we follow and for some reason I just really can't make sense of it. For example if a student gets a 25 out of 32 question quiz. Do I Still make the max points 50 if that is what I want will that automatically weigh the grade. Help!!!!!

3. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 7, 2007

Well, you don't say which grade you teach, so that MAY make a difference. Everything is on a percent bases. I weight my grades. My SS class is 40% assessments, 30% classwork, 25% quizzes, 5% participation (coming to class prepared to work and not keeping others from learning).

Most grading programs have this option. I have tried just points and didn't care for it.

We use PowerSchool but for whatever reason our classes were not entered in this year so I am using a free online program called EnGrade

4. quaker3

quaker3 Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I teach 5th grade. I feel that you have to weight your grades. Everyone else is using this point system and they say that the points alone weigh the grades. I don't get it

5. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 7, 2007

That's why I weight the grades. Classwork includes all work done in class and their notebooks (I use interactive notebooks for 5-8 SS classes) Assessments may be tests or projects or presentations, depending on how I decide to assess. I do not include quizzes in the assessments because they cover a small portion of the unit.

I guess with mine it would be the % age of the assessment x4, the %age of the quizzes x 2.5, etc. if you were to use points. I have no clue how it turns out fair if you do not convert the points to percentage.

Unless you are required to use the point system, I would go with weighting. With a program it is much easier.

6. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Oct 7, 2007

I use points, just to keep recording simple for the students. It's kind of like keeping score.

HW = 30 points per week
    Each Test = 100 points every other week (50 per week)
    Classwork = 50 points per week
    Quizzes = 5 points every week

the weights then follow as approximately

HW = 30/135 = 20%
    Tests = 50/135 = 38%
    CW = 50/135 = 38%
    Quizzes = 5/135 = 4%

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 7, 2007

I did straight total points for the first time this year, but before I did weighted catergories and I did total points w/in each catergory. When I did weighed catergories I weighted grades as:
    -35%: Tests
    -10%: Notebooks
    -25%: Quizzes
    -15%: Classwork
    -15%: Homework

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 7, 2007

I'm point based I adjust each test individually. For exampe, I give timed math facts several times a week. They are not, technically, part of my required curriculum (they are supposed to have mastered it by now). Each one has 72 or 100 on it (depending on the book I use). After I grade them, I divide it by four (if they miss 4 instead of 68/72 they make a 17/18. The fractions it creates can be a pain in the tush, but it works.

9. quaker3

quaker3 Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

How does the points work out for you now. If you don't mind could I see an example. I have a program that asks for max score and total points are they supposed to be the same amount. For example if I give a quiz that has 20 questions to I put max score 20 and the same for total points. Is the total points category where the grade weighing comes in. I am really sorry if these questions seem stupid I am trying to figure out why I am so confused with this. Thanks for any help

10. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 8, 2007

I honestly have found it easier to convert to percentages first. I am not a math person, do this works much faster.

You are not being stupid.

You could try taking the same data and try it diferent ways until the grade looks about what you think it should.

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 8, 2007

They are supposed to be the same amount. I assign a point value for each assignment, quiz, test, and project. Each grade si written as a fraction with points earned over possible. The final grade is then determined by adding up all the points earned, dividing by possible, and multiplying by 100.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 8, 2007

You can weight each assignment by the amount of points you assign to it. For example...
    -Spot Checked Homework/Classwork=5 points each.
    -Tests, Major Projects, and Major Papers=100 points each.
    -Quizzes, binder checks, small projects/essays, and graded hw/cw assignments=30-50 points each.
    -Warm-ups=3 points per day.

13. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 8, 2007

That's what I do too. For example, for spelling, we have 20 words a week, so any assignments they do for spelling are usually out of 20 points (one for each word they have to use). So I record their grades for those as a 16/20 or 19/20, whatever. For spelling tests, to weight the tests, I make them worth 100 points, so each word they miss is 5 points off. If they get 19 out of 20 words right, that's a 95% or 95 out of 100 points, so the grade goes in as 95/100.

14. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 8, 2007

What's the program called? It kind of sounds like easy grade pro.

15. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Oct 18, 2007

I use www.teacherease.com for my grades. My school district actually mandates that we use the following guide:
    tests 66%
    participation/classwork 17%
    homework 17%

Once I plug these % into teacherease, it calculates the grades for me...