Grading system in 5th grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mpeterson_1, Aug 12, 2002.

1. mpeterson_1

mpeterson_1 Guest

Aug 12, 2002

I am trying to come up with a new system for grading in 5th Grade. I used primarily weighted percentages last year and am thinking about going to a points system this year. I was looking for your ideas on how this might work. Some things to think about are point values for HW, projects, tests, class assignments, etc. I'd love to hear what some of you do for a grading system.

3. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Aug 13, 2002

I use a system of my own creation.I count homework and daily assigments together for one part of the average usually about 1/4 of the quarter grade. A quiz average1/4 and a test/project average 1/2. This of course depends on the class as a whole.Sometimesyou may want to count the daily work and homework for more points. (I had a group that needed all the help they could get)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 18, 2002

I have been thinking about changing to points also. Each assignment would have a total point value, you would note this as well as the accumulated total point value possible, and if a child got 40/50 you would just add 40 to their accumulated points. When divided by the total point value possible, you have the average. This would be good because you can automatically 'weight' the grades as you go. Even a short assignment can be worth many points if you feel it is very important. Figuring up grades should be much quicker this way. We start Monday so I better decide soon!!!