grading reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jitterbug2, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

We are coming up with a new system for grading as a district and there has been some heated debate about reading, so I thought I'd throw this out there to see what your opinions were. I could really use some help on this one.

What should be included in a reading grade?? Do you grade fluency and if so, how?? Do you grade phonics and vocabulary? how?? What about running records??

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 18, 2007

For 1-2nd, we have a separate section for fluency where we write their wpm and the minimum goal. We do grade phonics and vocab from a variety of worksheet/tests/assessments. For running records, we do DRAs and we use that percentage to mark whether students are reading at grade level. The percentage is not averaged into their grades.

4. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Sep 19, 2007

Thanks, I have a feeling our district is going to make us include fluency and running records in their grades and I don't know how I feel about that.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2007

In my district, we also did DRAs to see what level the students were reading at. We graded phonics(spelling test). Our district went with this vocab program district-wide this year. The students have a vocab notebook that travels with them with every word they have done. The curriculum outlines when we should intro new words. The only problem I saw with this was finding time to do the vocab maps and activities. As far as fluency, we sent that for homework. I would make each student a folder with a graph they would fill out Mon-Thur, they then had a passage they would have to a parent time them reading and graph each night how many words they read in a minute. I included this as a homework/reading grade.