Grading Reading using CAFE

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by crunchytxmama, Jun 13, 2011.

1. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jun 13, 2011

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but as usual I am stuck with how to grade reading. I HATE grading reading, but I have to. There is a two sentence blip in the book about taking a grade during an individual reading conference, but it doesn't go into any detail. Does anyone do this? How does it work? This has honestly been one of my hang-ups about moving away from using the basal.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

With reading conferences, I grade based on participation, completion of reading (set number of pages), and use of skill while reading.

I still use the basal worksheet for teaching the reading comprehension skill. You can grade these as well, usually they work with any text.

I also usually have the students document examples of their reading strategy, maybe 1 example a day. Finally, I include some kind of journal entry for them (every two weeks usually).

4. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jun 13, 2011

Thanks, mopar! Do you tell them how many pages you expect them to complete between conferences?

I think I am going to use the basal story in whole group to teach the comprehension skill. That way I can still give the reading test over the story.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

I would think that in second grade, they probably read about a book a day until they start chapter books. I tell mine that I expect about 7-10 pages a day, depending on the student it might be more.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2011

Have you tried doing a running record for each child to aid you in grading reading skills? You can look online for a blank running record form and have the child read the first 100 words in a chapter or 100 words during an important part, then have the child finish the chapter independently. As he/she reads, you can grade based on how many miscues (mistakes), insertions (words they inserted that were inaccurate) etc. You can make a decision whether the child's accuracy grade is 96% or less. If it is then the book might not be on that child's independent reading level. So if the story is a level M, that child might need to go down to a level L.
    But the accuracy component is just half of the assessment. You can create comprehension questions for the story (chapter), maybe 2-3, inferential and literal, to test their understanding.

This is how I would assess reading and grade my students if I did not have a set program in my school. I think the conference notes would come into play as well (are they using the strategies taught?)

7. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jun 15, 2011

I haven't done running records on them. I could certainly create my own and do them, but I think they would only be helpful to me as far as assessing their current reading level for purposes of seeing how they grow over time. Since I don't have leveled readers, I would have to go through and level each of the books in my classroom library. I just don't think I will be able to do that.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2011

You could have a rubric for different strategies or mark your state standards that the student has mastered.