Grading questions! Help!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by MissMulcahy, Sep 9, 2007.

1. MissMulcahy

MissMulcahy Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

My students just took their first spelling test of the year which were the seven days of the week. Unfortunately I had two students who just bombed the seven words. All my other students have big 100% on their papers. Do I put a failing percentage of the two students' papers that failed? I am not sure how to go about this. Help please!:confused:

3. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Sep 9, 2007

They are 2nd graders and you just started back, right? If you are worried about failing them just put "please fix your mistakes and show me" on their paper. When they come up to show you check it and then explain to them you are giving them a "second chance pass" on this test because you know it is hard to get back into the habits of studing blah blah blah... Make sure you study harder next time blah blah blah.... I will always help you and give you second chances to learn but I wont be able to fix your grade again.

4. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 9, 2007

For my second graders I try to put encouraging comments on failing papers instead of an actual failing grade. I write things like "Keep practicing" with a smiley face, or you could write a short note to their parents on the papers asking them to work on these words with their children. I also like jaruby's idea about giving them a chance to fix their mistakes.

5. annafish

annafish Companion

Sep 9, 2007

I agree with LAH2. I usually just put the number correct on the test, not a percentage. I know I have some students this year, who no matter how hard they study, probably won't get a 100%. For them getting 3 right may be a big accomplishment, so you have to take the actual student into account. I also make a big deal about how your paper is private, comparing grades isn't polite, just so nobody feels bad.

6. TMH2004

TMH2004 Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

The teacher I am student teaching for allows them to correct the mistakes for half credit. That way it's not a free re-do but they aren't failing either. I think she will do this up to 3 times maybe?

7. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Sep 13, 2007

I don't write percents on any papers...I write how many are correct out of how many words, and then if they got a perfect score, I have a "perfect speller" certificate I attach to the test.

And that isn't really out of consideration for feelings upon looking at a score, because 7/18 is going to look bad no matter how it's written, lol. But it's much easier to not calculate percentages. A score is good enough, and I can weight grades later on. :)

8. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Sep 18, 2007

I agree with Jaruby. Give them a chance to fix their errors. In fact I would go so far as to say this: So what if you gave them the same test every day for two weeks. If they eventually got 100%, would they know the same thing that the kids who got it immediately know? My goal is to help them learn. For some kids this is more difficult. Give them strategies, a way to study, and a chance to succeed, and they will.
    In second grade, I feel they are just beginning to be able to take control of their own learning. Maybe you wouldn't be able to do this for every spelling test, but for days of the week, perhaps this could be your chance to think about the process of how to study instead of worrying about perfection the first time through.
    As far as the actual grading, I would tell them like it is. I use the how many correct out of how many words way of reporting. A fact is a fact. They can use it to set a new goal and you will have a base to show future improvement.