Grading question.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, May 22, 2016.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

May 22, 2016

Here's the scenario:
    Student scores the following scores on classroom worksheets on fractions: 50%, 45%, and 60%. Child studies with me after school for 3 days straight and gets an 83% on the test!! :) The teacher asked me if she should change the failing grades to 83% as well since he obviously learned the content. I told her it was "up to her." No one has ever asked me this before, and I just wondered what your take is on the situation. The child really does know the information now, and the test was a lot harder than the worksheets.

3. w5education

w5education New Member

May 22, 2016

Imagine it takes you 3 attempts to pass the test for your driver's licence. The examiner doesn't average the three marks and fails you again. Your skill level is based on your last test.

Are you confident that the 83% is an accurate reflection of the child's achievement? IF so, ignore the worksheet marks. Why punish a child for taking longer to master a topic.

bella84, otterpop and Obadiah like this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2016

The student knows the content now; grades need to reflect the mastery, not the process of getting there.

bella84, Caesar753 and Obadiah like this.
  5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

May 23, 2016

It depends on the overall standard behind the grading. If every student's work is to be averaged equally, then I would recommend not changing the procedure for just one student. If each worksheet is counted once, but the tests are doubled, then these scores will average to 80.25%, not much different than just counting the test score.

My current personal opinion, however, is that graded worksheets do not honestly represent a student's overall progress. They just show that the student takes longer than others to master the content, and if a student is allowed to learn from mistakes, most likely the student will achieve the concept. The problem is, modern classroom pacing does not always allow time for mastery.

BioAngel and Aussiegirl like this.
  6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 23, 2016

Amen Obadiah! Pacing rarely allows time for mastery!

Obadiah likes this.
  7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2016

I would weigh the test a lot more than the quizzes and assignments that it took to build the skills. That's why they're called summative and formative assessments. One sums up everything that should have been formed through learning.

2ndTimeAround and Obadiah like this.
  8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 24, 2016

This!

I believe that teachers need a way to track students based on their ability to master content at a certain pace. If a child can earn 100's but needs 3 times the amount of time to master the content, there has to be some way to designate the need for the child to use more time to master the content.

This is coming from a student who struggled in school for her whole life - I had to work my butt off, but it made it toally worth it. In high school, I took Calc 1 and earned C's and B's but I got straight A's on the all the tests in college when I retook it. I don't regret those C's and B's in high school - it provd to me I wasn't really mastering the content and had to work harder to review it.

Obadiah likes this.
  9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 26, 2016

My tests count for a lot more than worksheets and practice. But many worksheets will equal one test, so I tend to make my worksheets and practice more about completion than accuracy. My worksheets are more about getting additional time in the material and less about assessment, however.

I will sometimes change a quiz grade, or mark it exempt, because mastery is evident. There are so many things at play though - did a student not study for a quiz? Could a student have guessed on the test? Was there something that interfered with the quiz grade - an injury, family emergency, etc?