grading question-Ca

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ca HS Sci, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Ca HS Sci

Ca HS Sci New Member

Oct 24, 2012

Ca ed code 49066 says teachers decide grades.
    To what extent can schools or districts make rules that teachers must follow when they determine grades?
    Students adding a class halfway thru the semester, not having had the class previously sparked a conversation where admin said the new student should not have to make up missed work.
    Also on topic would be schools requiring a teacher to accept late work 2-3 months late, or other rules the teacher may disagree with.
    Aren't all these contrary to Ca ed code, the teacher decides?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

I'm not sure if they are contrary to the law, but not following the directives of an administrator may result in a loss of a job.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

I think administrators and districts can make all sorts of rules and policies about grades (and other topics, too). As long as they let students and parents know the rules, and as long as all the rules are applied fairly to all students, I don't think it's a problem.

5. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 27, 2012

My reply probably doesn't exactly fit here, probably would be a better fit on that other grading post, but for some reason I'm putting it here. What is the problem with CA and grading? When I taught there, some lady came in with some computer program saying stuff like the program is so great because it helped her feel confident in the way she graded, it was clear to parents and students, etc. I thought it was such a poor program that it gave me an attitude. Without going into details (which might show how all this relates to the topic), I think the bottom line is that there must be a way to measure what the kid actually has learned. If for example in chemistry it is learning to figure things out on paper before actually mixing chemicals, then I think a written test can be constructed. I think homework should just be a citizenship grade and it is ok if other students help with hw.
    For years I explain why use total points to my students (who all get it). For some reason I will give the details on this.
    Spz.a kid gets 0% on an easy 3 question test and then 100% on a difficult 97 question test. None of my ninth graders think 50% is fair. All understand that 97% is better. But principals would argue that people don't understand that and teachers should grade so that parents understand.
    I think California has a lot of social geniuses, but is really a big stupid state that thinks it can influence and wants to influence the rest of the country for some reason.