Grading policies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caesar753, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

Let's share grading policies. Please consider any or all of the following questions:

Do you use a points system or a percentage system?

What are your grade categories?

How many grades of each type would we likely find in your gradebook for a given term?

What is your policy on work missed due to an absence?

How long do you spend grading each night or each week?

What works for you and what doesn't?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

I teach math... any grade from 7 to 12.

All my tests are percents, out of 100 possible points. My quizzes are always out of 10.

School policy has us do our grades this way:
    1/3 tests
    1/3 quizzes, homeworks, class particip. (I don't count class partic at all. I was always one of those quiet kids who was on task but hated raising my hand.)
    1/3 trimester exam

We operate on trimesters: I from September to Christmas, II from Christmas to Easter, whenever it is, III from Easter to June. In a typical trimester, I quiz once or twice a week, Test 6 or 7 times (every 2 weeks) and check homework 30-40 times.

A student who misses tests makes them up after school. I don't nag them, but the smart ones make them up ASAP while the material is still fresh. I give enough quizzes that I don't push the kids to make up every one they miss unless a pattern emerges.

The grading depends. Since I test every 2 weeks, those nights are busy. (Atlhough with 3 kids, I'm not as good about getting the tests back the next day as I used to be. I do try for a 2 day turnaround, but with around 180 kids, it can get tricky. When I have several preps, as I will this year, I stagger the test dates. Last year I had only one prep, so the tests were all on the same day.)

I'm also BIG on giving several versions of the same test.(admittedly easier in math than in other subjects.) I also give the kids a detailed outline of what's on the test: "6 problems, 5 points each, on factoring like the ones on p45, 2 quadratic formula, 15 points each..." Otherwise the 1st period kids come in not knowing what to expect, and the 9th period kids come in knowing not only the format but the answers. I think it levels the playing field.

4. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 24, 2007

Percentage

Assessments - 45%
    Classwork - 40%
    Notebook - 10%
    Participation (which includes being prepared with all materials, not being disruptive, and positive contributions to class or group) discussions - 5%

How many grades of each type would we likely find in your gradebook for a given term?
    Varies. But approximately twice as many classwork assignments as assessments

School policy is one day for every day absent

It varies. I try to do any classwork that is objective in class. But probably about 10 to 15 hours a week on average. (I have three planning periods a week, two back to back on one day, so I usually use that one to do my planning for the following week and use the single one run copies.)

I am in the unusual situation of having eight preps. I make every effort not to have more than one project due at the same time. While that is easier said than done, I try to maintain that when possible.

Anything objective gets graded in class. Every student grades their own (after clearing their desk) with a colored pen (I have red and green pens). They have to write the correct answer in. I collect them. I never have kids read off their scores.

Each student has an alpha number which helps me keep track of who does or does not have their work done. If a student comes into the class after the students have their numbers, I'll give them the number they would have had with a letter b next to it - such as 5b.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 24, 2007

A combination of both the term averages are made up of weighted catergories, while each catergories individual average is found by total points earned/possible. (Not all assignments are out of 100 points.

I am always changing mine, but they look like they will be...
    40%: Final Assesments (Tests, Major Projects, and Major Essays)
    25%: Quizzes
    25%: Homework/Classwork
    10%: Binder Organization
    *NOTE: Small projects/essays can be worth a hw/cw or quiz grade.

7-8 quizzes (1 quiz for some units, 2 for others, some small projects I do instead of the quiz)
    15-20 homework/classwork grades (includes the rest of small projects)
    4-5 Tests
    2-3 Major Papers or Projects

All work must be made up with in one week or it is a zero. Show missed homework that I checked to me when I check homework everyday, duirng the warm-up. Anything that needs to be turned in from an absence turn it in.

I would say anywhere from 0-3 hours per night and I have 2 85-minute prep blocks, which depending on the day, I use gor grading. I am anal about returning quizzes and assignments the NEXT DAY, Tests within three school days, and projects/papers withing one week.

Does:
    Student Helpers (see previous post)
    Collecting Work in Alphabetical Order
    Does not:
    Having kids correct their own work, if we go over it in class I check it before we go over it. Sometimes I will give it a corrections grade by seeing if they have the right answers after we go over it, but thats only eveyr one in a while.

Alice, do your past students, who are now teachers, call you Alice or Mrs. A

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

A little of both. Some just avoid the subject and don't call those of us who once taught them anything.

But there are a LOT of teachers in my school who have been there forever, so it gets a little weird. I always ask the former students to call me Alice, but some of them are uncomfortable doing so, and I can respect that.

How does it work with you?

7. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jun 24, 2007

Homework 10% (2 or 3)
    Test's 50% ( 5)
    Daily 40% (20)

I give each student the number of days they were absent to make up the work.

It takes me about 4 hours of grading a week because I do a lot of projects that are a pain in the hiney to grade.

What works for me?

Heh, not much because I am a traveling teacher and it is hard to set up a system when you have no space in a classroom to stay organized.
    The one thing that does help me is having specified return days for each of my classes. This way, I can grade a little each night and not feel over burdened with all of the stuff I need to get done.

I also do not call any of the teacher's by their first name even when no kids are around. I just feel wierd doing so since I do not know most of them very well and the ones that I do know are coaches and we call each other "coach".

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 24, 2007

Percentage.

Everything weighs the same: homework, quizzes, tests, essays, projects, speeches. . . .

Midterm and final count twice.

At this level, there are no makeups. If you miss, you miss, and you take a zero for the day.

I give at least one quiz each class meeting.

9. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jun 24, 2007

A couple of years ago, I changed to 50% major grades, 50% minor grades. Tests and any projects go in the major category. Everything else goes in the minor category. This way, I don't have to worry about a category that is lacking in grades (that really seems to worry some people if a category has just a couple of grades in it). Easy to keep up with.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 25, 2007

What class are these grading catergories for?

11. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 25, 2007

Social Studies

I used to have some of the assignments turned in separately, but this year they will all be in the notebook. I am actually considering the following for next year, since more of the work they do will be included in the notebook and this would be a more accurate reflection of the time put into classwork and their notebook.

Assessments (tests and individual projects.) (40%)
    Notebook (25%)
    classwork(quizzes and small group projects) (25%)
    Participation (5%)

12. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

50% Test
    50% Daily

This is per the district and the way our electronic gradebook is set up.

I do homework, classwork as daily.

Tests or quizzes are Test category, this includes 2 test grades each grading period for AR.

If they kids do not read their AR, the will likely fail Language Arts. The entire school follows this method, so it is not my design.

13. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 25, 2007

Literature

40% - Assessment
    40% - Classwork
    20% - AR

Language Arts

40% - Grammar
    40% - Writing
    20% - Spelling

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 25, 2007

I too am probably going to give enough time in class for assignments to be done so homeowork is only unfinished classwork. My AP class will of course have homework, but I am going to try to keep it limited to reading. My 1 section of 7th grade social studies will virtually have no homework. But I am not sure if I am going to assign readings for my honors 9th and 10th grade classes.

For math I would always assign homework as kids need the practice, but for Social Studies, they can do most of the readings in class and homework time can be for studying and finishing work. (BTW you percentages only add up to 95% fo social studies.) This year, how did you factor your quizzes into your grading for social studies.

What I gave before was what I usually do in the past I am planning on doing to do is as follows:

7th Grade
    35%: Classwork and Notebooks
    35%: Tests
    30%: Quizzes

AP
    50%: Tests
    20%: Classwork
    5%: Notebook

9th/10th
    40%: Tests
    25%: Classwork
    10%: Notebook

15. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

Social Studies (If I teach it)
    tests/quizzes/projects: 40%
    Homework/Classwork/minor projects:30%
    Notebooks: 30%

Science
    Tests/quizzes/labs/ major projects: 40%
    about 20 labs, 1 or 2 projects, 10/15 quizzes, 3 or 4 tests

Homework/Classwork/minor projects: 30%
    about 15 homeworks, classwork will be the left side processing assignments, so I would say about 30, and about 4/5 small projects
    Projects would be taking one of the left side assignments and making them more elaborate. Kind of like a final draft so I can have things to hang on the wall lol. They will pick a left side assignment and recreate it. They will have to write a paper to go along with it of how it pertains to what they learned and all that stuff.

Notebooks: 30%
    Notebooks will be checked every Friday for an overall notebook grade.

Math (If I teach it)
    Basically the same 40, 30, 30 format. I also plan on using a math interactive notebook which would be 30% of their grade.

Policy: One day per day of excused absence.

Grading: About 15/20 hours a week, but now that I'll be using ISN's and grading them every Friday, I'm guessing maybe 25/35 a week.