Grading on completion

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by danilynnbali, Sep 8, 2010.

1. danilynnbali

danilynnbali New Member

Sep 8, 2010

I teach 4 different science classes (6 classes total because I have multiple sections) ranging from 7th-12th grade. I want to check some assignments on completion, which I have seen in action but haven't tried myself (I'm a new teacher....I've had long-term sub jobs but this is my first full-year job).

Just looking for some ideas about what to do when someone doesn't complete the work the first time and they decide to make it up later. I plan on going over the answers with kids the next day so they can check their work, but that means that the answers are floating around and easy for the student to attain. Does it mean making an alternate assignment, or is there another way?

Thanks! :)

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 8, 2010

I don't grade on completion or accept late hoemwork so I'm not too much of help, but anyways maybe you could give students who turn things in late after you go over them half credit. Or you could put them in the hall while you go over it. That would only work though if you collect the homework after you go over it....

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2010

I don't accept late work - but when they come into class, I collect assignments while they're doing their bell ringer. If it's completed, it gets a stamp, a check in the grade book, and handed back. If it isn't completed, I X out what they didn't do so that when we review it, they can't write down the answers and then turn it in for credit. And if there's no stamp, I know they didn't even hand it in.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2010

This is the way I do it as well.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2010

Are you sure you don't want to come to FL and be my team teacher? We already have some much in common in the classroom :)

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2010

:lol: cheb, I don't think I'd like it in FL. And it would be far away from dh.

8. MathNrd

MathNrd Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

I start each class by walking around the classroom and checking on who has their HW done. I note who does not have the HW. I give them a 100, a 50 or a 0 for HW for the day. I do not accept late work unless it is from an excused absence.