Grading Math.........(Possibly other disciplines too)

Discussion in 'High School' started by Mathemagician, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 8, 2011

I currently grade for a college calculus course, and I have graded for high school classes during my practicums. I just wanted to get some other opinions on something that is probably trivial to most. This probably applies to disciplines besides math (like science) as well.

When you grade a 10 point problem that is half correct, do you give the student -5 or +5? (Similarly for any point value, this is just an example.) When I started grading, I would give them -5. Now I give them +5. It takes a little longer because I need to write a point value that they EARNED by each problem (whereas with the "-" system I did not write anything by a completely correct problem, I now write +10 or whatever it is worth), but I prefer it. Even though the grades come out the same, it makes me feel like grading is not punitive. I am not looking to catch them slipping up, I am looking to see where they have good insight and good ideas. Sometimes I may be a bit too generous with partial credit (heck, I usually give at least 1 out of 10 just for writing something instead of leaving it blank!), but I just think going through and trying to GIVE points instead of TAKE them makes grading more enjoyable.

Any thoughts?

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 8, 2011

That's a great question, Mathemagician.

I always write "+" anytime I give partial credit. I usually place the value next to the part they are getting credit for. That way, they can see what they did correctly and can figure out for themselves the rest was wrong. Sometimes, I also include a very short description of what they left out or did incorrectly if I feel the mistake or omission isn't obvious to them.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2011

I use the + as well. However, every question on my tests has the maximum amount of points by the question, so if they get it correct, I just circle the points.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 8, 2011

For very similar reasons, I tell test takers with test anxiety to stop counting the practice questions they get wrong and start counting the practice questions they get right.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2011

I deduct.

Most of the time, I'm deducting fewer points than would be adding, so it makes the math go more quickly.

7. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Apr 8, 2011

I always add and then score it out of the total at the top by writing a fraction. It's a great connection of fraction and percent for my fourth graders. In addition, I agree it is best to be supportive and not punitive.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 13, 2011

I always use the same marks when grading. For anything that is either completely correct or completely wrong it gets a check or an x. For short answers, essays, or anything where I can award partial credit, I check and x throughout the question and then record the score for that question as a fraction points earned/total. For essays and larger answers I tend to write smaller deductions as I go with comments in the margin. That way it's easier to assign the final point value for that answer.

Now for tests and quizzes, I write the total points earned/total for that section. When it is time to find the final grade for the test I add up all the points earned for each section.