Grading/Lateness Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Oct 26, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 26, 2014

I teach 7th grade math/science. I taught 4th grade math/science last year. This is how I handle late work, and I just wanted to get your thoughts and maybe some ideas on how you all handle it as well. The motivation behind this post is I have received an email from a parent.

In our district we cannot grade homework for accuracy, completion and effort only. So for homework, I simply look over it, check it off with a check or check minus. To calculate homework average, I simply take the number of assignments turned in divided by the number of assignments possible and get a "percentage" which is their homework percentage. If a student did half the assignment (check minus) it would be a 0.5 instead of 1.0 for example. For 7th grade math/science, our department makes homework only 10% of a students 9 weeks average.

We give out progress reports every 3 weeks. Come progress reports time any missing GRADED assignments (classwork) are stapled to the progress report. If the student still does not turn that in by the specified due date, then I convert it to a 0 in the gradebook. At this point, students have been given weeks (3+) to get an assignment in. I think this is fair, what do you think? At the next progress report, I only staple the new missing assignments. I would still accept the older assignments, but I am not going to restaple the missing work from the earlier progress report AGAIN. Again, I would still take them and if a parent requested an extra copy, I would provide it, but at this point the assignment is 3+ weeks old, I don't think I should have to chase it down anymore.

I need a more concrete LATE homework policy. Since it's not graded, and it's on effort and completion only, it just seems to me that if you can't get a homework assignment in within a week, it should not be a check or check minus. What do you think? What would be a reasonable late policy on the non-graded homework?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2014

Does your school have a policy on late work? Has your admin offered any guidance?

Your policy seems reasonable to me, but perhaps also a little cumbersome. If an assignment was given three days or a week before progress reports come out, students might not have a lot of time to make it up before it gets turned into a zero, if I'm understanding your policy correctly.

At my school I basically accept anything and everything up until the end of the marking period. I also give completion-only grades for most practice work. If it's more than a week or so late, I take off 40%--the student will still earn a passing score (60% is a D at my school), but the grade obviously won't be as high as it could have been had it been turned in on time. I print out missing assignment slips at progress report time, and I also post grades online and in the classroom. Any assignments given between progress reports and the end of the grading period are just on the student to be aware of, via the online portal and posted grade sheets.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 26, 2014

I also only grade homework for completion. It's 100% if on time (I won't take anything that's not fully done, so that eliminates half-done work), 80% if late, but by test day of that unit and 50% any time after that. I also take late work anytime during the semester, so it's 50% whether it's turned in the day after the test or 2 months later.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 26, 2014

For my class, homework is purely for practice and edifying their understanding, so it is a low percentage of the grade: 15%. I also only grade with a check, check plus, or check minus. These correspond to point values of 1, 3 or 5.

I collect their homework in a packet at the end of the week. Any homework I didn't get a chance to check off get checked off by themselves, and they total up the points and write the total on the front (so I don't have to do math). All I do is put in that number into my grade book.

If they turn it in late without a good reason, it's 50% off the homework (they already had a whole week to turn it in for full credit). It's easy for me to calculate and since it's better than nothing, the students will still usually turn it in.

If a student is missing assignments, I send home a progress report by email that details all of the assignments they are missing. The student is responsible for coming to me to get the work, or finding it in the make-up work folders by themselves. (I might make up a new system for this, actually).

This is just how we do it. Not saying it's the best way for everyone or anything. But it's worked pretty well for me.

6. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 26, 2014

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. If it's missing from progress report 1, it is stapled to it and then I give them until I issue Progress Report 2--it is at that point the stuff from progress report 1 becomes a 0. So anything that is newly missing will have a blank space and a corresponding assignment attached to the progress report.

At the third progress report, I stop adding new grades at that point (they go on the following 9 weeks actually), and they are given until the end of the term to turn in the work that was missing from progress report 3.