Grading Interactive Notebooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ancientcivteach, Mar 27, 2008.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 27, 2008

Let me say first, I absolutely LOVE this strategy - it does many great things for me and my students. What I hate is grading the things. So, I'm doing an all call - for those of you who use the IAN, how do you grade them?

For those of you who don't know what one is -
    http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/

3. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 27, 2008

I have been doing a lot of research on Interactive Notebooks to make mine the very best they can be. I think it is absolutly wonderful!! I have come up with a rubric to grade the notebooks based on orginazition, completeness/correctness of answers/responses, and using complete sentences. I know the last one sounds a little much but I am really pushing writing and complete thoughts. I want my notebooks to be rich and descriptive, not just a bunch of facts and pictures.

I grade them every 4 weeks, but I do not try to do everyone's in one day. I get it accomplished throughout the week. Every day of that week, I grade about 5 in each class. This way the day is not wasted.

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 27, 2008

JS, would you share your rubric with us? Also, how much are your notebooks worth in your overall grade?

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2008

I used ISN's for 3 years but did not this year because my students got tablet computers and most take notes writing on the tablet. The last year that I did ISN's we used a binder instead of a notebook. They did the right and left sides of the notebook. On test day, they turned in that section of the notebook and hooked the pages together with a brad. I stored all the sections of the notebook in my classroom and handed them back befor midterms and finals. This way, they had 4 packets with everything that they needed for the exams and no lost notes. I could easily take the packets home and grade. They would get their rubric returned and if they had questions, they could pull their packet and ask questions.

6. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 28, 2008

I use composition notebooks. I hate 3-ring binders.

My notebooks are usually 50% of their class grade. The other 50% are assessments. They keep all notes, assignments, labs, etc. in their notebook.

Correctness
    4 - Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the subject matter
    3 - Demonstrates a general awareness of concepts
    2 - Demonstrates a limited awareness of concepts
    1 - Demonstrates a minimal understanding in discussion of concepts

Higher-Order thinking
    4 - Contains elaboration, extension, and/or evidence of higher-order thinking and relevant prior knowledge
    3 - Some evidence of elaboration, extension, higher-order thinking, and relevant prior knowledge
    2 - Limited evidence of elaboration, extension, higher-order thinking or relevant prior knowledge
    1 - Little to no evidence of elaboration, extension, higher-order thinking, or relevant prior knowledge

Scientific vocabulary
    4 - Strong use of scientific terminology; defined terms
    3 - Acceptable vocabulary; majority of scientific terms defined
    2 - Simplistic vocabulary; few scientific words defined
    1 - Inappropriate vocabulary

Organization
    4 - bound notebook, neat, in order, tabs visible, table of contents
    3 - four of the previous requirements
    2 - three of the previous requirements
    1 - two or less of the previous requirements

Grammar
    4 - Strong control of English Conventions
    3 - Minor errors with English Conventions have little to no effect on communication
    2 - Errors in English Conventions are disproportionate to length and interferes with communication
    1 - Errors in English Conventions interfere with communication

Grade
    A 20-18, B 17-15, C 14-12, D 11-9, F 8-0

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 28, 2008

Thanks, JS! Do you grade individual assignments or the whole four weeks as one grade? Do you spot check at any time during the four weeks?

I teach sixth grade, and my concern is they wouldn't keep up with it if I graded it once a unit, which is what I would really like to do. Does your four weeks work out to approximately "once a unit"?

I'm also a fan of the composition book, they seem to hold together well.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2008

ancientcivteach, thanks for posting that website!

9. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 28, 2008

I do grade individual assignments like labs and diagrams and open responses. I grade them with a rubric just for that specific activity. I only use the rubric above during the 4-weeks check.

Yes, my units usually run 3-5 weeks but I do not check notebooks based on units...that is a really good idea though. I may do that next year.

If your students understand that this notebook IS their grade, they will keep up with them. I would also suggest having a special place in your room to keep the notebooks. That way students wouldn't lose them.

10. wig

wig Devotee

Mar 28, 2008

Please add anything to the wiki you think will be helpful. The original wiki were sources I pulled from various chatboards. But members have added terrific things to it. The wiki is one of the best ways I know to share information.

i started a page on ISN Rubrics. JS I hope you don't mind that I cut and pasted your rubric into it.

11. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 28, 2008

Smalltowngal, that is a wiki put together by our very own Wig! We usually start picking apart the notebooks around this time of year to get ourselves ready for next year. It usually inspires a lot of questions so she put together the wiki to provide a starting point for folks. :) We want to add a page on grading procedures, and that's another reason I started this thread.

JS, thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. So, to recap - there are certain assignments that you grade independently, but then you grade the overall notebook every four weeks. That is something to noodle.

I do have a special place for each period to keep their notebooks, and losing them is not really an issue. When I spoke of "keeping up with them" I meant more in the context of completing their assignments in a timely manner. Do you have much of a problem with students not completing assignments when they know its going to be that long before you check them? Or does your grading individual assignments periodically help keep them focussed?

12. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 28, 2008

whoops, Wig, looks like we were posting at the same time lol

13. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 28, 2008

I do all of the notebook assignments in class. It takes more time but this is the only way I have found for students to keep up with the assignments. Another thing I am thinking about doing next year is to send home a parent evaluation of their notebook. I read this on an ISN website. The only thing I worry about is the transport of the notebooks to and from school - they may get lost or damaged.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2008

Well then, thanks wig for creating that page! I'm hoping to get an 8th grade English or 6th grade SS class next year and would love to incorporate these into the classes.

How would you bring this up in an interview if you've never done them before but want to once you're teaching the class?

15. wig

wig Devotee

Mar 28, 2008

AncientCivTeacher: You have a great rubric yourself. It inspired mine. Unfortunately, mine is on my school computer, but I will post it once I get to that computer.

The one thing I noticed is sometimes I have to tweek my rubric to fit the class. I use a couple of different ones (I teach 5-8 SS)

I grade my two history classes at the end of the chapter.
    I grade my World Culture classes on an ongoing basis

Notebooks/Classwork 25%, Quizzes - 25%, Assessments - 50%.

I give more quizzes in World Cultures than in History, so History classes often end up being 50/50

16. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 28, 2008

Thanks, Wig. I started off this year with the intent to grade my students' notebooks on a weekly basis, using this rubric:
    Weekly Interactive NB Check Rubric

3 Proficient 2 Basic 1 Beginning
    Knowledge Left-Hand Pages
    3 Articles/notes highlighted where appropriate
    include additional thoughts
    Questions/blanks answered thoroughly
    show evidence of correction/ additional thinking.
    2 Articles/notes highlighted where appropriate
    Questions/blanks answered thoroughly
    show evidence of correction/ additional thinking.
    1 One – two assignments or notes are missing, incomplete, or some errors may not have been corrected.
    Concepts
    Right-Hand Pages

3 Proficient use of knowledge:
    • The application of concepts is appropriate and shows depth of understanding.

2 Basic use of knowledge:
    • Show a general understanding of the concepts.
    1 Beginning use of knowledge:
    • Shows some understanding of the concepts
    • The application of concepts may be superficial or random.
    Skills
    3 Uses complete thoughts and own words
    • Contains most important information
    • Completed per instructions •
    2 Sometimes uses complete thoughts and own words
    • May include some irrelevant details
    • Completed per instructions •
    1 Uses incomplete thoughts or is copied directly from another source
    • May include irrelevant details
    • Not completed per instructions
    Organization &
    Presentation

3 Use of color is consistent, eye-catching, and effective
    •Pictures are complete, and show an understanding of the text.
    •The notebook is neat and attractive •

2 Color is used, but not consistently or effectively.
    Few pictures are complete, and show an understanding of the text
    The notebook is neat and attractive •

1 Color is rarely or never used
    No pictures or pictures show a lack of understanding of the text.
    The notebook is not neat and attractive.

Rubric Scores
    A 11 - 12 11 = 95, 12 = 98
    B 8 - 10 8 = 86, 9 = 89, 10 = 92
    C 6 - 7 6 = 78, 7 = 82
    D 4 - 5 5 = 74, 4 = 70

Notes:
    • Notebooks that are incomplete or poorly done will receive a grade of INC (incomplete).
    • When being graded by a rubric, all expectations for a category must be met for the highest score, any missing elements will result in the next highest score for that category, and so on.
    • The maximum score for this rubric is 98, however, the teacher reserves the right to award an additional two points for work that exceeds expectations.
    • Students are encouraged to correct and complete their notebooks because it will receive an overall portfolio grade per unit.

It turned out that my students had difficulty grasping the "weekly" grade when they did "individual" assignments, so in January I switched back to grading individual assignments.

17. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 30, 2008

ok folks, i've been doing some internet searches and looking at other ian rubrics, and something i've seen on a few is a category for vocabulary - here is one sample:

Vocabulary (x1) Student has circled some vocabulary words and provided definitions for most readings. Student has circled some vocabulary words and provided definitions for some readings. Student has circled some vocabulary words and provided definitions for few readings. Student has circled some vocabulary words and provided definitions for one readings. Student has NOT circled vocabulary words and provided definitions for most readings.

I also noted that JS has vocabulary in her rubric - does anyone else? How would you go about incorporating it?