grading...HW vs TEST

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by angeluv73, Oct 7, 2007.

1. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I teach 7th grade pre-algebra, they tell us we cant grade them on anything but formative assessments(the test) But I dont tell my kids that or else they wont do their hw, which is the practice for the test. But then when it comes time for report cards and progress reports I cant grade them on HW. Sucks cause you have those kids who dont do any hw, play around in class, but get good test scores, and I have to give them a grade based on test scores. I dont like this, what do u think??

3. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Oct 7, 2007

I'm a first-year and don't feel like I know what I'm doing, so take this with a grain of salt, but I thought I'd throw this out as an idea...I agree, there should be some effect on their grade if they don't do HW, but I also think it's kind of unfair to take points from them for making mistakes on HW while they are still learning. So, I give four points per HW assignment and grade it for completion, not for correctness. If it is complete, it gets a check and full credt. If it's half-done, it gets a chek minus and half credit. Not done = zero.

If it is "done" but there seems to have been a complete lack of effort, or every question was done wrong, I won't grade it, but ask them to re-do it for credit.

This seems to be working and also saves time! What do you think?

4. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I am a little confused. Their entire grade comes only from tests? No daily grades? :confused:
    Sounds extremely unbalanced. I can't imagine any 7th grader doing the homework if there is no accountability for it.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2007

How about if you promise that they'll see some of the hw questions on each test. And that you'll be happy to go over any hw problems they had trouble with, assuming that they can produce the entire assignment???

6. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I agree on the HW thing, since i teach math, i see HW as practice. I want to see effort on HW. Did u go home and try or did you forget all about it? I give 10 pts per hw assignment, that was 10-9 is an A, 8 is B, 7 is C and so on. I dont grade based on how many they got correct. They could get a few wrong and still get a 10. I give a 1 if they got lots wrong, a 1 tells me they turned it in but need to re-do it, then when they turn it in again I give them full credit. So I dont grade hard on HW, but i do feel they need to do the HW i give them. the fact that they do or do not do their hw should be reflected in the final grade. i used to do 70% of final grade based on tests, and 30% on hw and classwork. This year they say I CANNOT GRADE BASED ON ANYTHING BUT DISTRICT^ TEST. They only get about 5-7 tests in one semester. The students dont kow this or else they wouldnt do HW or classwork! Especially in 7th grade! I tell them their grade is the whole 70/30 thing even though thats not true. It just makes me mad cause u get kids who screw around in class, dont do hw, and score well enough on test to keep a good grade, I cant grade them on the other stuff.:mad:

7. jaylynn917

jaylynn917 Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I teach LA, but a friend, who also teaches 7th grade math, helped me with this very issue and it has been extremely helpful for my grammar curriculum. I give 50 pts. for each homework page. (2 assignments per week). Students get an automatic 25pts. for completing the assignment, we then correct it together and answer any questions that they have about the lesson. I finish by giving 5 homework review questions (my friend calls them homework "quizzes" in order to avoid the whole hw grade issue)with each question worth 5pts. to add up to the 50 total homework pts. This has been really helpful because students who struggled on their homework still have the opportunity to get credit just for doing it while I, as a teacher, also get to see who is actually studying and who is just "filling in the blanks."

8. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

sounds great, but i cant give a grade on anything EXCEPT for district formative assessments. Any quizzes, hw, classwork, ect will not be graded on the report card.

9. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

Have you voiced your concerns to your administration?

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 8, 2007

We get into this argument alot at school meetings, many of us feel only tests and quizzes should make up student grades (the math department) and alot of us think that hw/cw as well as tests and quizzes should.

11. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Oct 8, 2007

I worked @ a school where everything was graded but they still would change the students' grade if the student or parent complained. And we couldn't give lower than a C. (and the hsers knew it.) lol. take a wild guess how much hw/cw got done!

then i worked @ another school where the test was worth 60%, quizzes =20%, HW/CW=10% each. and we complained about that because we felt like there was too much weight on the tests. and the kids knew that. so they didn't care about hw or cw a lot because they had these weighty monthly tests. of course the passing grade was an 80% and anything below was failing, so even a 60% if they passed the entire monthly would do them no justice. so a lot of them did what they needed to do to pass @ least the monthly, quizzes and cw. hw=MAYBE. many teachers also felt as though they were having to just teach to a test because they told us the cw=hw=quiz=test=success! right? lol. yea, that's what we said. and the CEO really was dumbfounded on why the grades weren't equalling up. and for some STRANGE reason, he couldn't figure out why students weren't scoring successfully or understand that uuuhhh-they just don't do hw or cw. he couldn't grasp that. or was just in denial that his students didn't do work. or that there must be something wrong with our teaching or assessments if they're doing well in hw/cw but not quizzes/tests.

nope. can't have test anxiety. these kids study ALL THE TIME. you're in the middle of this big ol crime capital here where the kids look up to people who carry all kinds of weapons and do all kinds of illegal things to make money & you're really appalled that ALL of the kids aren't passing? yea. that's the reality of some admins...

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 8, 2007

Our problem is at our school, all the departments weight grades so differently, even if they use total points. In the math department homework and ranges at about 5% of the grade, In english about 25%-30%, in Science (just homework, classwork counts as a lab) about 15%, and in Social Studies about 30%-35%.

13. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Oct 8, 2007

wow. that 60/20/10/10 was across the board. every grade, every subject. but i don't know, i just can't imagine a test being soooooooo much of my grade that it's like a 'do or die' type thing. i mean i know tests need to be worth more, as do quizzes, but what if this test has a shorter or longer unit with less or more material to cover?

i just think each teacher should be allowed to grade things as they see fit. even down to the individual. because there are some anxious test takers that really know the material. but the fact that it says TEST on the paper just brought them down to an 80% to start with. either that or they should just provide everything right down to the cw that we should do (and then we'd pretty much be robots really teaching to a test) but at least if it's going to be graded so heavily then it would all be equal as far as the length of the unit each time. and the importance of it.

oh well.. i'm off my :soapbox: