??Grading?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iloveschool, Jul 10, 2011.

1. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 10, 2011

This is the first year I will be using number grades. I taught Pre-k up until now. I am worried about the grading. Do you do all your grading at home? Any ideas to make it quicker or easier? The idea of the sheer volume just boggles my mind!!! 20 kids times 10 papers a day is 200 papers to grade each day!! (not to mention putting them in your gradebook and then onto computerized grading system for the school!) I realize sometime I may not have that many papers, but I am the newbie and have to follow what has been set up at grade level. We have certain workbooks we are expected to do each day.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

First, take a deep breath and relax! First, you will NOT be grading 10 papers per day for each student! While you may take up most (or even all) of what the students do, you will only "spot" grade general representative work (choose one activity here & there), plus weekly or unit tests. I am required to have 2 grades per course per student per week, for a total of 18 grades per student per nine-week period. Do I have more than that? Sure. But if you try to grade EVERY piece of paper that (1st graders, right?) your students put out, you will kill yourself. Simply check the rest for completeness, and either send them home for practice (not to return), file them in the portfolio, or (after the kids have gone home) file them in the round file basket behind your desk that the custodians clean out each day.
    If you made it through all that, does that sound better?

4. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 10, 2011

LOL!! That does make me feel better!!!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

Check with your admin to make sure of your district/school requirements to make sure. Forgot to mention that, lol.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 10, 2011

What grade are you going to be teaching?

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

pwhatley gave you great advice!

8. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 10, 2011

One thing that helped me this year was I put all the papers in order before I graded them. I used whatever order was in my gradebook. This made it easy for me to enter the grades quickly and then I had my student files in the same order so I could file them to go home right away.

9. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 10, 2011

I will be teaching first grade. I debated on giving them a number to help me put the papers in order. My son's second grade teacher did this.

10. Toast

Toast Companion

Jul 10, 2011

I teach 3rd grade and I NEVER grade anything myself the kids could easily just "trade and grade".

Anything that is multiple choice or fill in the blank (questions where there is only 1 correct answer) I have the kids grade. When they are finished with say.......a vocabulary quiz or assignment I redistribute them making sure no one gets a buddy's paper.

I then pick a helper to sit up in front of the room and read off the answers on the answer key. By having a helper read the answers, this frees me up to walk around and peek over shoulders while the kids are grading.

I can see right away who bombed it and needs to fix it, who got 100%, and who isn't really paying attention to grading their paper.

This is SO much easier. Then, all I have to do is record grades. I usually even elect a helper to sort the papers in number order for me.

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

Here it is against the rules to let students grade papers other than their own.

My kids have numbers- they put them in the top right corner. Easy to sort into order.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 10, 2011

When I taught second, many of the assignments were short enough that I could grade while they were working. That also helped kids go back and make corrections right then, which helps them learn from mistakes.

I also had kids grade their own papers so they could fix their mistakes on practice assignments.

Grading primary grade assignments really don't take that long, even if you write responses in their journals.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I also give my kiddos numbers - it's part of the heading that goes on EVERY page. I have a legal-sized 31 pocket expanding pocket filer that I got at Office Depot, and I use it to file the papers that are going in their "Tuesday" Graded papers folder (for parent review). With the number system, no matter how bad the handwriting, my hubby can even help me file if I get behind!