Grading & Discipline

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bina1357, Jun 12, 2007.

1. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Jun 12, 2007

Hi everyone,

I have a 2 part issue. I'm kinda embarrassed to say I need help w/this since I have been teaching for 7 years...but I need some tips on discipline & grading.

Regarding discipline, at my school we are discouraged from using step programs such as moving your card, or getting "warnings" that are on a chart. We do not have a school wide discipline plan other than the distict one for fighting, damaging school property, drugs, etc. I was wondering if you knew of any other programs or what I could do for discipline. I've always used the move your card type thing. We have adopted Love & Logic but I don't see that as a discipline plan but just a way to deal w/talking to kids. It does tell you how to deliver your consequences but that's about it.

The other issue I have is grading. I still spend hours upon hours at night & weekends grading. My principal said I must be assgining the wrong kinds of things. This is what I do: Spelling is 3x each, sentences, word searches, worksheets, & tests. Reading is graphic organizers, questions, worksheets, & tests. Writing is essays & some grammar worksheets/assignments. Social Studies is graphic organizers, questions, worksheets, tests. Science is participation on experiments,worksheets, questions, tests. Math is book work, worksheets, quizzes, tests. That is it in a nutshell.

I'd appreciate any advice you might have for these issues.

Thanks!

Tina

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 12, 2007

Tina,
    What grade is this?

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

Are you grading every assignment you give? I only take 2 grades per week per subject...the other assignments are quickly glanced at to see if the material was learned, but not formally graded.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 12, 2007

You don't have to grade everything. I agree with agdamity, you should only need 2 grades per week per subject. Depending on the grade you are teaching you may get your students to correct their own work (if you are not using it for a grade).

6. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Jun 12, 2007

Hi

Thanks for your advice. This is grade 4. What do you do to the other assignments that you only glance at? I do that too but I still look at every answer or skim the answers since you need to see if they did it rigth but that takes time also. When I do this I just put a check mark at the top.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

I read somewhere on here that a teacher had special stamps made that said things like "Corrected" "Reviewed but not corrected" "Make corrections at home" etc. Whatever you would need.

One thing that might help would be to shorten the assignments. This has come up before. Kids don't need to do 25 math problems for you to tell if they understand the concept. Homework can be 5-8 problems. I would try to cut down the amount on each assignment, the # of assignments, and how closely you review them. A word search doesn't have to be 100% perfect for them to benefit from it. If they only find 10 of 12 words, it's just not that important. Also, with some of the work, such as writing spelling words 3x, could you have a student do the checking (someone responsible who gets their work done early for instance)? Could you have the class grade certain assignments? Say, let them grade their own math papers for a week, then a quiz on Friday that you correct to see if they have really been honest in their correcting?

Another way to save time is to skim their work as they are doing it. Spot check 5 math problems. That would be another stamp to make: "Spot checked." Good luck. The paper overload is something that we all struggle with. One big thing I have done is to try to do assessments without paper. Like oral quizzes. Or multiplication Bingo. Stuff like that. A spelling bee.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

I teach in high school, so I'm not sure that it would be completely applicable for you.

In any event, like other posters have said, you don't need to grade every single piece of paper which graces your desk. Spot checking can be a wonderful tool... Most of the time I find that if I glance at one or two answers and they are correct, most of the rest of the assignment is correct as well. Just the same, if I glance at one or two answers and they are wrong, probably most of the rest of the assignment is wrong as well.

Do you think you might be assigning too much homework? Is it possible to cut your homework assignments by half or even by two-thirds? The students could still do other work in class, if that fits into your schedule, and you can check on their progress during that time.

9. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 12, 2007

For discipline ideas, go to www.newmanagement.com

Rick Morris has some amazing ideas, and great motivational tools. A friend of mine (who has taught 2nd and 3rd and next year will teach 4th) introduced me to his ideas and I love them! He has a few books out, and the "Tools & Toys" book is awesome.

Hope that helps!

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

I teach high school and middle school so this may not help you much, but I will try anyway.

To grade most homework I walk around the room while the kids are doing the warm-up and grade it out of 10 points based on completion, understanding, and effort. I will check any and all homework during their warm-up so if they have make-up work from an absence, late work, etc. they show it to me then too. This allows you to grade work quickly without collecting it.

Occasionaly I will collect homework and actually grade it for accuracy. If they are absent when this is do they have to turn it in to their classes in box.

Classwork is never usually checked I just go over it once I see that most people are done. Sometimes classwork that was finished as homework will be check thought. However, I do collect some assignments (which includes small in class projects and essays) and grade them for accuracy, they are worth anywhere from 20-50 points. I usually grade one classwork per week.

Have your kids put a student alpha number on each paper, this will help you alphabatize them.

Have an In and Out Box for each period/subject. In box contains alpahbatized stacks of assignments all paper cliped and labeled, along with makeup work. Out box contains alpahbatized, paper cliped, "sticky-noted" assignments that are graded. For each in and out box tha tI have I also have a corresponding folder. For example, I have a block 1 in box and a block 1 in folder--get it! That way I have a place to put papers when I bring them home to grade and when I am done grading. That makes sure nothing gets lost. For projects/notebooks put them in a box.

My student helpers (among other things) collect work for me, alphabetize it, clip it together, and then put it in my in box. The kids also put a stick note on the stack noting the students who didn't turn anything in, their number, and if they were absent they write absent next to their name on the sticky note. This way you know before you start grading who didn't turn something in and if not was it becuase of an absence.

Extablish how you are going to grade each assignment (see above), you late work policies (10% per day late for me) and weighting of your grades (for me its 40% Tests, 20% Quizzes, 15% Homework, 15% Classwork, and 10% binders). Inform your kids of this, especially about how you will only check off some assignments and let their parents know. This way they will not expect every paper to have a grade on it from you.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

Regarding discipline, I use the name on the board/checkmark/loss of recess time. It is ok. My principal has taught me a lot about putting responsibility on the child for determining what the problem is, how it is affecting others, and what should be done about it. If the child is upset of angry or having a fit, the principal will just say, "Ok, you can sit awhile and think it over. I will be here ready to talk to you when you have some ideas." This is said very kindly and calmly. The kids love him and so does the staff. I think this is the Love and Logic method. If you have read Love and Logic for Teachers and it isn't working for you, try reading Parenting with Love and Logic. It is a lot more detailed. I actually love that method because it takes the responsibility for figuring everything out away from me and I don't have to get my brain drained. But if you have several misbehaving kids going at it at one time, it is hard to be loving or logical. :) That was my year this year. I was just blunt and mostly laid down the law and didn't make them think, just suffer!! (maniacal laughter)

12. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Jun 13, 2007

Thank you for your ideas. I do see that I can incorporate many into what I do now.

As for homework, the kids always have 15-20 math problems each night, 20 min. of reading, and either a Science or Social Studies assignment which is answer ?'s to waht we read. Oh there's always spelling HW too. The math HW I do not collect but once or twice a week to check for accuracy. But I do many classwork assignments each week & I try to grade all of those. Spelling I check myself but I did start having the kiddos check each other's sentences. We looked for ideas one week, or word choice another, conventions always. It was a nice lesson within a lesson type thing.

Anyhow, I will try to keep the grading to a minimum. I like the idea of 2 grades per week. I just feel guilty sending home papers that aren't graded but were just given a check mark for completion or a quick skim.

I like those stamps for checked, skimmed, etc. I think I may get some made at Office Max or Staples.

Thanks everyone!

13. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

school specialty and classroom direct have some great stamp sets for marking papers

14. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I think your principal means that you are assigning too much PAPER. Your assignments seem very worksheet heavy. Have the children participate orally, in groups and in other ways besides just paper and pencil. Think about having the children do more project based assignments. In trying to come up with activities think about the mulitple intelligences. That way you won't just have paper and pencil activities. I have also used contracts in spelling. The kids complete a certain number of activities for an A, B,etc. Good luck!

15. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

As most have already said I only grade assignments that are meant to be an assessment and homework all other work gets a sticker, check, or a stamp on it just so they know that I do "LOOK" at all work.

16. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Use a Spelling Contract, only assign Math assignments 2-3 times a week, let the students check their own work. We don't take science or SS grades because we cover a lot of this during our reading. Science experiments are for learning and fun and never get graded. We're allowed to give S for satisfactory, P for progressing, N for needs improvement in the areas of science and ss. Some of us just leave it blank. I have always had the students check their own work and put stamps on it or stickers and sent it home like that. Parents seem to be okay with their child not getting a grade on everything.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 11, 2007

The only thing that I might add to what has already been posted is that you could have the students swap papers and grade each other's work, saving you grading time and removing the opportunity to cheat.