Grades

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by E Bunni 99, Aug 28, 2006.

1. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I hope everyone is settling in at school! This is a hetic time of year I know. I sometimes wonder if I will get it all done!

Last year a lot of teachers (myself) included kept a weighted grade book- where the daily grades were worth 1 grade in the grade book, quizzes 2 grades, tests 3 grades. This year though, I am hoping to go to using a Category system adding up to a 100 points- does anyone have any suggestions for me?

So far I have:

20% Reading Logs and SSR
    20% Daily Grades
    20% Quizzes
    20% Tests
    20% ???

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks ahead! :D

3. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

could participation work? or homework? for participation, I have each class define what participation looks like. It works for me.

4. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I don't give homework other then the reading log. :( Participation could count... do you think I should count if for 20% or another amount? Maybe 10% and daily warm-ups for 10%???

5. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 28, 2006

Test should carry more weight than the other categories and classwork more than homework...you never know who's doing the daily homework afterall.

Use a computerized gradebook if possible to let the machine do the calculations/

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 29, 2006

We have to use a point system and can't use weights/percentages. It really bugs people who are used to another system. I've always used the points, so it's no big deal for me.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2006

I weight mine differently:

Reading = 33%
    Writing = 34 %
    Grammar/Vocab = 33%

8. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Aug 29, 2006

I would do something like

Tests: 40%
    Quizzes: 25%
    Daily Grades: 20%
    SSR/reading logs: 15%

Mine is:
    tests, projects, papers: 50%
    quizzes: 30%
    homework, classwork: 20%

Within the categories, I feel free to assign more points to big assignments. 5 vocabulary questions might only be worth 10 points, while a reading log that had to be completed over 2 weeks might be worth 200.

9. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

Mrs. R., I'm interested in your weighted scale. I see the logic behind it; however, how does it work in practice? Meaning, where does it go if there's some activity/grade that incorporates more than one area? (as I'm sure many activities do!) I haven't seen any other scales like that so I'm curious how you've found it to work in the day-to-day activities and grades. Sorry if I'm sort of hijacking this thread!

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2006

Basically, I figure out where I want the score to go. For example, we might write an essay as part of our novel study. Usually that will end up going as a writing score (I have fewer of those because each assignment takes longer to do. They end up having more "weight", but that's okay with me.) However, if I am giving the essay as a TEST over the novel (for example, explaining the theme), then it will count in the reading portion. I look at each assignment that is blurry and decide on a case by case basis. I always tell the kids how it will count in the grade book.
    I categorize this way because I want the three components that make up my LA class to be equal.

11. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 29, 2006

But shouldn't a test grade count for more of the overall average grade than a classwork or homework assignment regardless of the category? I'm just thinking that "weight" might mean something different to you? I really want to understand...was it points you said you use in an earlier post?

12. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Aug 29, 2006

In my district our department (math), sets what homework and tests are worth. In 6th grade homework is 40% and tests are 60%, 7th homework 30% and tests 70%, 8th-high school homework 20% and tests 80%. Not my favorite, but I go with it

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2006

Tests and "big" writing assignments are worth 100 points. Most other things hover in the 15-25 point range. When I said that writing assignments end up having more "weight" I meant that they end up counting more because there are fewer of them in a category that makes up a third of the overall grade versus the many grades in the grammar or reading thirds.

I know, clear as mud, right?

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 29, 2006

I would do something like:

35% Tests
    25% Quizzes
    20% Daily Grades
    20% Reading Logs

I use the following system in my english and social studies classes:

35% Tests
    25% Quizzes
    20% Classwork
    10% Homework
    5% Binder
    5% Journal (Warm-ups)

I too, assign different amount of points to assignments within each catergory. For example, video questions to a video that took 3 class periods to watch might be worth 50-60 points in classwork, while a key terms assignment may be worth only 10 points in classwork.

15. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 29, 2006

Grading Policy
    Writing projects, Tests and Quizzes = 60%
    Portfolios and In-class work=25%
    Homework=15%

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2006

In my sixth grade classes:

Everything is "worth" 100 points - but weighted differently in the computer system.

Participation & Behavior (Rubric): 10%
    Bellringers: 10%
    Classwork/Homework: 15%
    Projects: 25%
    Quizzes: 15%
    Tests: 25%