Grades in Special Education

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by firstyearsped, Oct 17, 2012.

1. firstyearsped

firstyearsped New Member

Oct 17, 2012

Hello! I am in a therapuetic day school. We recently found out we are to give grades to our students. I have four students in a middle school classroom. I have two students who can do math, reading, ect. at about a 3rd grade level (they are 6th grade). They are intelligent, but lazy and they usually use negative behaviors to get out of work that I know they can do.

I have another student who requirse hand over hand assitance with everything, but enjoys doing work and will sit for the entire time. He puts in effort, but cannot do anything independently, where the other kids have the ability of getting As but have limited participation.

Do any of you grade on a prompt system for some kids and a grade system for other kids? I am trying to work this out and adding in a participation grade as well.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 17, 2012

:|

:dunno:

I have the same question myself. I'll be eager to see more helpful responses!

4. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 17, 2012

I grade on growth and not mastery of the material. So, this means pre-testing and post-testing to DEATH.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 17, 2012

I do pre-tests and post-tests too. Can you be more specific about how that translates into an A-F grade? I created portfolios for each of my kids with work samples, rubrics showing growth, data, etc...but other than participation points I don't know how to make that work in gradebook.

6. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Oct 18, 2012

I grade on growth also. And I personally think that if there is not growth, then I need to call an IEP meeting and adjust the goals. Even though the student required hand over hand, there are other ways to test them, such as eye gaze. I'm not sure I would label a child lazy. Many sped student exhibit learned helplessness because of always feeling like they are so different and learners, and many have been beaten down by years of education that is not taylored to their needs.

7. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 19, 2012

I give a pretest. I look at the results of this test and tailor my instruction accordingly. After the instruction/unit I give a post test. Each child's post test ONLY has questions that the child got wrong on the pretest. I look at the pretest scores and compare them to the post test scores. If the child made significant growth, he/she gets an A. If he/she made moderate growth, he/she gets a B. If no growth was made, he/she gets a C.
    Significant Growth-At least 3 of the answers on the post test correct.
    Moderate Growth-1 or 2 answers on the post test correct

I have never had any kids get all of the answers on the pretest correct. If I did, I guess I would have to change my system.

8. NickiMacaroni

NickiMacaroni Rookie

Oct 21, 2012

I think it would be very hard to assign grades to students with special needs, because they are supposed to be working on their own individual goals. One thing I did during student teaching was to make a rubric for the activity, with four categories. For instance, for an activity in which students were trying to answer who, what, when, where and why questions about a story, the categories were, Answered question independently, answered question after looking through the book, answered question after having the correct page pointed out by teacher, answered question when given two choices, or was unable to answer the question. I guess these could translate into A, B, C, and D.
    However I sort of feel like giving a C, D or F insinuates that the student could have done better if they'd tried harder or studied more, whereas some children with special needs just may not be able to do some things yet.