Gradebooks

Discussion in 'High School' started by krysmorgsu, Jul 12, 2009.

1. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

Last year I was told that my school would provide a gradebook. Luckily, my mentor said it probably wasn't going to happen and that if it did, it would take two months to get it, so I bought my own. At the time, I bought the classic one (the company name escapes me). That is, the one with a green cover , alternating colors per student, perforated pages, and two lines per student. I loved it! The thing that stunk was that I spent more in the shipping cost than I did on the gradebook itself. Ideally, I'd like the same thing or something close, but with maybe 3 lines per student. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or know where to get the gradebook i'm talking about? Thanks.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

Not the one you asked for, but I LOVE This book:

http://www.continentalpress.com/pages/products/90.html

It's a plan and grade book all in one. The grade book allows for up to 48 student per class.

I've been using it for a million years, even though a bunch of us now have to order it by mail, since the local store that used to carry it closed down.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

Our gradebooks are online, but for a paper back up, I just created one to fit my needs in Excel.

5. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

Alice,
    How many lines does it have per student? That's kind of important to me. It's just easier for me to see who was absent when right in my grade book, so I know who to excuse from homework or not without flipping pages. Some of my kids do make up homework that they missed, so I don't record it that day if they are excused, but know to go back and do it if they were absent the day before.

6. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

I did that for the first couple of weeks, but then I easily lose it! Thanks, though! Our gradebooks are online too, but I like a book so that I can go back and double-check if I made a mistake sometimes. I had a problem with the online gradebook losing some grades once this year, so it makes me nervous.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

It has a total of 48 student lines down, grouped by color into 3's (#1-3 are green, #6-9 are white, then green then white and so on.)Going across, there's room for 50 grades on the double page, with a few spare columns at the end for averages.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

Whaley makes a gradebook that has 3 lines per student. You can order a binder version or a bound version. You can google whaley gradebook. You usually have to order them online.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

Lakeshore carries these, so if you have a store near you, you can get it there. I think all of their grade/plan books are 20% off right now (not sure, tho).

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

Thanks guys!

11. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I hate having to hand write anything like that, but I also fear the loss of data (who knows when a server might decide to crap out). So I just print off the gradebook from the computer program every Friday as a backup copy, but don't hand write anything.

If anything seems fishy or lost, I can reference the grades from previous weeks, and crosscheck.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 13, 2009

After our servers crashed this year and it took us one week to get out grades back I am going back to keeping grades in a traditional gradebook as well. I think I am going to make my own in excel and put it in a binder.

13. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

I have always been interested in the whaley gradebook but too cheap to give it a try. Typically I begin the year keeping both online and hard copies of grades then drop the hard copy when I get behind. I'm going to work on that this year.

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

I created my own in Publisher using a table - I made it so I can enter 40 student names, with fifteen cells following on each line. I divided each cell with a diagonal so that I can take attendance and enter a grade for each day. That gives me a three-week record on a page. I had to make it pretty darn small - we'll see how it works out.

15. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

Good luck with that, Mrs. K! And I finally remembered the name of the Gradebook I use: Squibb's.Although I may have to check out the Whaley book.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

krysmorgu, I like one of the Squibb books that allows three entries per student, but it only has room for 32 names, and I can have as many as 42 in a class - boo! :(

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

42 students!!! I guess I need to stop complaining about my class of 28. That will be the largest class that I have had in 10 years.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

I've had up to 45. My friend had a 46 one year.

19. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I am feeling very spoiled as I read this thread! I didn't know some schools don't provide gradebooks! One our first day of work days at the beginning of the year we have a stack of gradebooks, lesson plan books, and attendance books---everyone just grabs what they need......I guess I need to, once again, appreciate my school district for how awesome they are!

20. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

Mrs. K,
    do you know where to get that Squibb's book you like? It was a pain to try and find the one I had last year...and my school cuts off classes at 30 students, although my classes are usually much smaller. Right now my numbers for next year are: 35 level I, which will be split into 2 classes, 18 level 2, 12 level 3, and 5 AP -- I'm lucky in that regard.

21. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

22. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

Thanks Mrs. K, and everyone else who replied!

23. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

Oh, I just looked at the Whaley one. I do like that better, but are the lines really red?

And ouch to all of you who have large classes! I really am lucky in that regard!