Gradebooks & Grading

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Genmai, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Sep 16, 2009

Ok, I'm having a hell of a time organizing my grades and day-to-day grading. My gradebook has only 1 line per student and I have only 1 box per student per day.

This sounds like a stupid question:
    How the heck do I record multiple grades for a student for each day?? For example: Today, I have 3 separate grades for John: homework, classroom participation and exam. There is only 1 box!

Also, how do you guys track classroom participation and other good things they do each day? Do you keep a separate notebook with all the tallies for each student every day? This is confusing.

I'm losing track of my grades which is really getting me very nervous... Fortunately, I'm also using Engrade but I also want to use the old fashioned paper gradebook.

:help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2009

Are you using a paper gradebook?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 16, 2009

I just ignore the day boxes, and write in my own date. Today, for example in spelling, will have 2 grades. But I don't need to have it on Wednesday's box.

I use PowerTeacher (which I hate, by the way), but I also keep a paper gradebook because it is easier when I am grading papers. I'm not always by a computer to enter them right away. I would love to find a good paper gradebook that is more user friendly than the old blue covered ones...

5. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Sep 16, 2009

Yes, I'm using a paper gradebook that my administrators provided. It's the standard 1 line gradebook that tracks 1 grade per student per day. I have no idea how to use it correctly.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2009

If you have to use the paper gradebook, just ignore the dates. Write your assignments as you go.

Alternately, if you have teeny tiny handwriting, you can do a slash mark, dividing the box into two triangles into which you can record two separate grades.

If you're allowed to do so, you might consider using an online gradebook (or even something like Excel) and print out your grades if your admin requests a hard copy.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

We have to keep a paper gradebook. We use one called Whaley and there are 3 lines per day. They are available online. I also like it because it is in a binder format.

8. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Sep 16, 2009

I've learned that not everything has to be graded. With 200 students, 3 assignments per day would be way too much for me to handle.

I use a point system and usually end up with about 1000 points per 9 week grading period. This includes 3 major tests (300 points = 30%), a couple of projects (200-300 points), about 100 points in HW, 200-300 points in classwork, and some other fluff.

So, I usually average 3 grades per week - homework, an assessment, and classwork/group work, etc.

Participation is just a running total that I update once per week. It's one column that I overwrite with the new total. I use excel, which I like because I can cut my data a bunch of different ways to see how students do across different demographics, assignments, etc.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009

I preset all my categories of what I will record grades for. Most assignments are simply practice of concepts, like workbook pages, so I just check them for completion. Tests, quizzes, projects, homework, classwork, participation is all I have in my gradebook. I tally up homework checks at the end of the week. If all assignments are in, they get the 100% completion grade for the week for homework. Classwork gets its own grade per assignment. Participation is a running tally system. Tests, projects, and quizzes are recorded as given. I only plan to grade one classwork per week. Tests, projects, and quizzes are only every couple of weeks.

10. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

Why couldn't you do different pages for each subject? Have on grading set for spelling tests, one for homework, etc.... Or, make your own pages. Just put the kids names in excel and make your own grade forms.

11. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 18, 2009

Last year, I used Squibb's 2-line gradebook. I loved it, but sometimes wanted a third line, like you. It was especially bothersome when I had a quiz and homework or classwork on the same day, because I had nowhere to mark absences without messing up my 1 grade per line system. This year, I purchased a Whaley 3-line gradebook. If you are only required to keep a paper gradebook (not THAT particular one), why don't you invest in the Whaley book? I find that having an organized gradebook that is to my liking makes grading so much simpler. Here's the link if you're interested in purchasing the Whaley book: http://www.whaleygradebook.com/home.asp

12. lsho

lsho Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

My gradebook (I have an online one for the school but I keep a paper one for myself) is similar. There is technically one box per day. But there are other boxes at the top that you can fill in how you want. I ignore the "M,T,W,Th,F" at the top and just write actual dates in like 9/18. That way I can record how I want. I have learned that my gradebook doesn't work well because of how small the space is so I'm searching for a new one for next year. I just say ignore what is already printed and do what you need. As long as you understand it, you should be fine.

As far as participation, I just started being good about how I do this. For a while, I had post it notes, which was quick, but they all ended up lost somewhere in my desk. From my online gradebook, I can print class rosters with boxes next to all the names. That is how I take my own attendance (we also have an online attendance system for the school). I printed a second one and labeled each day (as with my paper attendance) and just put a check mark in the box each day. If they get a check, they participated. If not, no points. That might not work for everyone but with 6 classes a day and around 140 students, it is hard for me to keep track of it any other way.

When I was in school, I had a teacher who just kept the attendance binder on his podium while he taught and if he asked for volunteers, he would put a small red dot next to the name/date. At the end of the week, he'd enter it all in the grade book. Different systems will work for different people. Good luck!! :D

13. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 24, 2009

While little Billy may have two grades today, tomorrow might be a note taking day and he might not have a grade. I just use the boxes as I need them and over-write the date at the top.