gradebook...silly question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by StickyNotes, Jul 8, 2007.

1. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jul 8, 2007

Ok I have a silly question but I am completely lost on the answer and figure here would be a comfortable place for me to ask without getting too much flack. These are the types of things they need to teach in college... :)

Last year was my first year of teaching and when I bought a gradebook I noticed that to the right of where I wrote the students names was perforated to separate the names from the grades. I thought it was just this one book and was annoyed by it because throughout the year they kept falling off. So when I went this summer to buy my gradebook for this coming year I noticed they all have that.

Why is that?

I teach ELD, Reading, and my homeroom class so I need to have different names on the pages depending on the class. Someone solve this mystery for me. why the perforations?

3. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 8, 2007

I write my student names 4 times (reading, writing, math, spelling) and leave 5 blank pages after each list of names so that I'll have 6 grading period pages. I tear off the blank lists so that I'll be able to see the names for each grading period. (I just read over this and I'm not sure if this will make sense to you or not)

4. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 8, 2007

My class roster always seems to change each 6-weeks...students leave, others come in.

I use a page in my gradebook for attendance and I write down my class roster. I label the next 6 pages "Reading 1st 6-weeks" "Math 1st 6-weeks" etc., and I tear off all of the perforated names, so regardless of whatever subject I'm putting grades in, I see my "attendance" roster.

I then start over on the 2nd 6-weeks doing the same thing. Easy to realphabetize the next 6-weeks when you get a new student or if one leaves.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2007

I use 2 pages per trimester-- one for quizzes, one for tests. Then next trimester I start with clean pages.

I tear off the blank part, and the names are all written. I just bunch each class together with a paper clip.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

Why don't you use an online grade book. They work nicely and even figure the grades out for you.

grade book

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2007

Teacherease is another great online gradebook. It's free to the first 3 teachers who use it at your school.

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 8, 2007

I kind of wish I had that kind of gradebook with the perforated sheets. (To the OP... You write the names once on the first page, then on each subsequent page you tear off the perforated section. It allows the original class list to show through so you don't have to write the kids' names on each new page.)

You could also make your own in Word or Excel and print them off. Our school had an online gradebook and it was formatted very strangely. I'll be playing around with templates online for next year! :)